Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randomly disconnected from my wifi untill reboot.

851 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jcgriff2 
#1 ·
Hi.

I'm facing a really annoying problem with my computer or my modem, I don't know what is causing it.

I'm getting random disconnections from my wifi (wifi is still working on others devices!). I got to put in/out standby my laptop to be able to reconnect to it or rebooting it.

I've been looking for a solution for weeks now. (Had no problem with another router in my student appartement for months... :( ).

What I've tried so far :
> Disabling the energy economic mode on my netword card
> Giving my laptop an IP outisde of my DHCP range
> Running différents console commands
> Reinstalling Windows.

It looks like (maybe just a coincidence) that the problem is happening way often when I'm on a streaming service (twitch most of the time).

Last week, I didn't face any disconnections after running few console commands (can't remember them tho ...) but it came back yesterday.

I hope someone here can help me !

Thanks (and sorry for the approximative English.)

See less See more
#2 ·
Lets take a peek at your network environment:

please Download and run this Xirrus WiFi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here. For Vista and Windows 7, 8 you can use the Windows Snipping Tool

#3 ·
Hi there,

I want to verify, the wifi on your computer works fine on other networks right? If so, the culprit here could be with your modem. What is the brand and model of your modem may I ask? Most likely, your modem has an ethernet port and if so, try connecting your computer to your modem directly via network cable. See if your computer still get's disconnected from the network even with using a network cable.

Hope everything works out well for you.

#4 ·
@Old Rich

Yes, I got no security on the box because I'm in a small village and I already checked connected devices, nothing's wrong :<.

Signal is not that good because I'm in my room at the 2nd floor.

@DBCooper

I'm basically using the modem given by my internet access provider which you shouldn't know since I'm in France. This is a LIVEBOX 2 SAGEM from Orange.

I indeed had no problems with another IAP in my apartment, in Wifi and in ethernet.

Didn't try yet ethernet on this modem, will try tomorrow.

Attachments

#5 ·
Two issues jump out . . your signal is very weak, and you have another access point using the same channel. You may well have a freeloader using your access point as well.

You can try changing your channel to 6, but that will not help with the weal signal. You may need a range extender for that

#6 ·
Yes, I know signal is pretty weak, but speed and ping is decent.
Do you think the weakness of the signal can be the reason of my issues ?

I mean, the signal is stable and I don't see how turning on/off standby or rebooting the laptop would instantly fix it :<.

I will try to switch to 6 channel

#7 ·
Do you think the weakness of the signal can be the reason of my issues ?

I mean, the signal is stable and I don't see how turning on/off standby or rebooting the laptop would instantly fix it :<.
YES - the weak signal is more than likely the reason the system drops the signal.

The signal is not 100% constant. It fluctuates. You may be just at that level where a few % drop in signal strength is enough to cut it off; then when trying to reestablish the connection, the obstruction (like someone walking around) is now gone; your signal strength increases by a few percentage points; you are able to reconnect. You are likely literally at the signal strength threshold.

Another item to try is to update your wifi driver. Go into Device Manager (devmgmt.msc); expand "networking"; 2x-click on wifi; click on "driver" tab; you should see the driver name (ends in *.sys).

Look up the driver in the DRT - https://www.sysnative.com/drivers/

Also check your system manufacturer's support site - they too may have an updated driver.

I can tell you that you will likely encounter difficulties in finding a driver update. I don't know your wifi device, but the driver for it was written by Atheros - and that is never good when looking for driver updates.

Just to note - the next time you purchase a laptop, make sure it has Intel wifi. Intel always keeps their drivers updated, even for systems ~10 years old.

The ultimate wifi signal test here is what someone already suggested - plug in the system via Ethernet and see how often you lose Internet connection. My guess -- zero times.

Good luck to you.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.