Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Problem connecting with Netgear WNA1100

This is a discussion on Problem connecting with Netgear WNA1100 within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Some background: I've been using a second-hand PC for the past year. It has had persistent issues connecting to my

Old 02-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

Some background:

I've been using a second-hand PC for the past year. It has had persistent issues connecting to my WiFi. Other computers in the house connect without difficulty.

At first I thought the dongle was responsible, so I replaced it with a more expensive one -- Netgear WNA1100. But this didn't resolve the problem:

Symptoms vary, but it typically disconnects without warning, sometimes followed by announcing that the USB device is not recognised. Sometimes this can be solved by removing the dongle and inserting it in a different port, though the port itself does not seem to matter. At other times, I've had to uninstall and reinstall the driver software. Exasperating, obviously.

Now I have a bigger problem: It is crashing my machine.

Last week my hard disk died (or so the man in the computer shop told me). Because I only need this machine for my PhD work, I chose to replace the hard disk with one that was left over from an upgrade (cheaper and theoretically adequate -- I have a 12-month warranty for it). All the other hardware was checked before leaving the shop, XP reinstalled etc.

Yesterday I got the computer back and started reinstalling various software. But the wifi stopped working, so I reinstalled again, and during the process my machine 'stopped' -- this was a blue-screen event and the next restart failed. Thankfully the machine started again today, and connected to my network. But then the machine crashed again.

So far I have:

-- run an antivirus check (nothing)
-- updated the driver (once I got online)
-- run a disc check (using the 'Automatically fix file system errors' on C:/ drive, this involved a restart)
-- began running a full system check ('Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors') but the last crash happened during phase 4
-- the Microsoft error reports have produced nothing

So I'm at a loss. There seems to be no point reinstalling any more software till this is sorted. Hope someone can help. [Obviously I will be taking it back to the shop if I can't resolve myself since there's also a new issue with the system audio.]

Here's data sent with the error report from the first crash, though I'm not sure it will help:
BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : B7E0F28A BCP3 : B2FDCA60
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 256_1

And here's my network info:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : user-03c83a7cb4

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lan

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-7D-94-07-C1

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR WNA1100 N150 Wireless USB Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 2C-B0-5D-71-08-4D

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.73

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 08 February 2013 17:46:35

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 09 February 2013 17:46:35

Old 02-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
Registered Member

Now had "Windows was unable to complete disk check" message during phase 2 of the bad sector check.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
Registered Member

By way of further information: