Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Printers showing as offline

This is a discussion on Printers showing as offline within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I currently have two printers connected to my network, however both of them are showing as offline (despite being on

Old 04-16-2017, 11:33 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

I currently have two printers connected to my network, however both of them are showing as offline (despite being on and connected).

I have tried disabling SNMP, I tried installing a windows update, which another site said fixed their problem, and I've tried restarting both of them, as well as my computer, I have deleted them from devices and printers and am trying to reinstall them - naturally they're also not showing up when the wizard searches for them. I have entered their IP addresses in to attempt to connect to them manually, however that hasn't worked either.

Both printers are showing up as connected on my router, but I'm unable to get them to show up anywhere, or print to either of them.

I'm pretty sure it's a networking problem, however I'm not sure what step to take next. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
BecBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 07:12 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

If they are shown in the router, then it sounds like they are connecting to the network. And as you mention you have tried to connect via IP, I'm assuming the router is showing that they have been assigned an IP.

Is the PC in the same subnet as the printer(s)? Are you able to ping the printer(s) from the PC? Have the printers ever worked in this configuration?

JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:30 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Yes both printers have assigned static ip addresses. They have been set up for over 18 months on this configuration - however this is definitely not the first time they have shown up as offline, when they are online. In the past usually uninstalling them and reinstalling them using their ip addresses is enough to get it to work. This time however I tried disabling SNMP and the windows update first, as I was hoping for a better long term solution. It's all in the same subnet.

I am able to ping both devices

C:\Users\Rebec>ping 192.168.000.204

Pinging 192.168.0.204 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.204: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.0.204: bytes=32 time=90ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.0.204: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.0.204: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.204:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 90ms, Average = 25ms

C:\Users\Rebec>ping 192.168.000.101

Pinging 192.168.0.101 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.101: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.101: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.101:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 23ms, Average = 8ms
Old 04-20-2017, 09:25 AM   #4
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Then assuming the issue is with a single PC, I'd suspect an issue with the (OS) of that one PC. The fact that you can ping the printers, shows that it's not a network issue. I don't know what discovery process Windows uses to add hardware, but that's what I expect this issue to be (ie: A Windows issue, not a network issue).

Old 04-21-2017, 05:21 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

OK thanks. You're right, at the moment it is just an issue with the one computer, however it has happened previously on our other computers - does that make a difference?
Old 04-21-2017, 07:10 AM   #6
Moderator - Hardware

My System

I've had issues in the past with network printers. There are sometimes warnings and/or workarounds noted in the setup manual about how to add a network attached printers. Some home models need to be directly attached and configured before being placed on the network.

In any event, Windows should poll the network for hardware. If polling fails, you can manually browse or add by IP. If you can ping the printer, then Windows should be able to reach the printer by IP as well. I don't know what, from a network perspective, would prevent Windows from configuring/installing software/drivers when the printer is reachable.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:30 AM   #7
Registered Member

In this case, you make sure that your PC ( if printer connects it) power on. I face this problem, the PC power off, Printers showing as offline
lgordon225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:42 AM   #8
Registered Member

My System

The printers aren't connected to any computers, they're only connected to the wifi network.