Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Printer Troubles

This is a discussion on Printer Troubles within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I work in a small print shop, we just had a new machine added. We give all the machines static

Old 03-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

I work in a small print shop, we just had a new machine added. We give all the machines static ip addresses within the local network, however with the latest addition when we try to print something another machine on the network picks the job up (not all the time though). I have checked the ip settings multiple times, one is set to xx.xxx.xx.205 and the other is @ .206 (is that too close in the range?). The tech from the printer company says there must be a problem in the network. I need some ideas of what to try here. When I ping the new machine's IP when it is unplugged, I get a response through the old machine. Any help is appreciated.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
Registered Member

"When I ping the new machine's IP when it is unplugged, I get a response through the old machine. Any help is appreciated."

What does this mean?
What happens when you ping the printer or when you say "machine" do you mean printer?

Can you post your Subnet Mask or better yet the complete IPCONFIG /ALL. Don't worry about hiding the IP because if it is a private IP (192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x – 172.31.x.x or 10.x.x.x) then no one can get to it any ways because the NAT will hide them from the public and besides they are not routable.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
Management Team Networking

"When I ping the new machine's IP when it is unplugged, I get a response through the old machine."

this indicates you have a ip addressing [duplicate] problem

All ip addresses and host names associated with the ip address should be documented.
Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
Registered Member

If I ping the printer either with the network cable plugged in or not, I get a response which I assume comes from the old machine which is still on the network. The IP for the older machine is 10.77.99.205 and the new is 10.77.99.206 - the network is through a VPN if that matters at all.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
Registered Member

SN is 255.255.255.0
Old 03-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
Registered Member

Wand3r3r has got it right. You have to be careful when giving printers static IPs that another computer out there does not have that IP. The best way to do this is to configure your DHCP server with a range of IPs that will be reserved for devices such as printers to make sure a computer never gets a printer IP.

As for the VPN the reason it could be an issue is if your VPN is on another subnet but if that was the case you would be having a lot more problems than just this printer.