Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Port Forwarding for Remote viewing of NVR

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Fred Garvin 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello! I'm new to this forum. Have been trying to resolve this issue for my mum for the last week with no avail so I'm turning to the experienced tech experts here for help... in desperation. :cry:

So here's the deal, I'm trying to gain access for remote viewing of CCTV (NVR) which is made by Dahua. The modem/router is Huawei hg532d - which is both wired and wireless.

The NVR's network settings are as follows:
static ip address which is 192.168.0.108 (DHCP is not selected as doing so turns everything into 0s)
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.0.1
TCP Port 37777
UDP Port 37778
HTTP Port 80
RTSP Port 554

The IPv4 address of the computer that is attached via ethernet to the modem is 192.168.0.2
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.0.1

(Now this modem/router's original factory setting IPv4 address would be something like 192.168.1.x, and the gateway would be 192.168.1.1 - but because it wasn't the same as the NVR's I changed the modem's one without changing the NVR's since I couldn't change it on the NVR system for some reason)

According to guides I've read, I have the following set up on the port mapping section of the router:

Protocol: TCP/UDP
External Start Port: 80
External End Port: 80
Internal Host: 192.168.0.108
Internal Port: 80

External Start Port: 37777
External End Port: 37777
Internal Port: 37777

External Start Port: 37778
External End Port: 37778
Internal Port: 37778

I would have thought by doing this the ports would open and everything would be fine but no. When I go to canyouseeme I get "connection time out" on all of the above ports, viewed with the external IP address of course.

I've turned off the firewall in the router. I don't have other firewalls or antiviral software running either.

I've contacted my ISP who have informed me they are not blocking any ports. I've also called the huawei modem company without much luck either.

Now prior to changing my ISP and modem the remote viewing worked fine, so I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the configuration within the modem/router. And I don't know whether this "bridging" thing needs to be done since it's a modem and a router. I haven't changed any of the original settings on the NVR (because I can't, and I don't know why - that's another issue in itself).

The program I am trying to remotely view the NVR has an external IP address 123.2.36.62. I don't know whether this particular address needs to be filled into the port settings or not. It seemed that this address was needed in the old modem settings which I don't have access to now (it was also not set up by me). Is there also something about inbound DMZ setting?

Funnily enough, although the NVR is directly connected via ethernet to the modem/router when I used cmd -> PING 192.168.0.108 (this is the NVR ip address) I keep getting:
Reply From < my computer's IP address i.e. not the one I pinged >: Destination Host Unreachable

So honestly I'm getting quite confused about all of these issues and I'm really not sure where the problem may be. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated. :bow:

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you trying to ping from the computer (192.168.0.2) connected to the network? If that's not working, I'd say there is an issue with the NVR. I would suspect that it should respond to ping on the LAN. It should also be configurable, so as you already noted, there is an issue with it anyway. I start by figuring out what's wrong it with and fixing/replacing it.

#3 ·
Wow, thanks for helping out! (It's mighty brave of you to wade into this quagmire of technical illiteracy on my part)

Yes I did try to ping from the PC with that address.
I went and did some reading on this topic (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc940095.aspx) which says it's essentially a router issue? I have no idea what they mean by checking the IP routing table. What confuses me about the advice given is that the replying IP address is the issue in this case and the replying IP address isn't the NVR IP address but my PC's. When I ping my PC's IP address from my PC (I know this sounds stupid) it's obviously fine.

The only thing I can think of is when I log into my router's user interface and it shows a list of devices connected to the router, the NVR does not show up. And I would expect that if it was actually connected to the modem that it should show up with its static IP address and all. The ethernet connecting the NVR to the LAN port on the router flashes green, and same on the NVR end. I can manually input the NVR's IP address into the router so it learns it however doing so somehow automatically generates a MAC address which I don't think is compatible with the NVR's MAC address (I also don't know where to look for the NVR's default mac address either). :sigh:

I've sent an email to the NVR manufacturer to get some help but since it's a weekend and a holiday coming up I'm not expecting to hear from them soon. But yes I've said to my mum that it may be worthwhile perhaps getting a new NVR.

If you or anyone else has any other ideas/advice it would be much appreciated! <3

#5 ·
usually when you disable dhcp and get all zeros it means you can tap to each octet to enter the numbers you need [like 192.]
no problem changing the subnet on the router to match though.
sometimes they put the mac address stamped on the back of the nvr

has forwarding ever worked at your moms?

Post the results of a tracert yahoo.com for review
Want to see if there are any private router between you and the internet

#6 · (Edited)
Hi, thanks for your reply!

Ooooh.. I see. But! I've read conflicting reports as to whether I should tick the DHCP box or not. Some say it will complicate things by making the NVR's IP address dynamic. Most guides recommend a static IP address. I actually can edit each octet when the DHCP isn't ticked, but my changes aren't saved even after I click save and then exit the screen. It's bizarre. My mum has no idea if this inability to save new setting changes is a new or old thing. This applies to settings not associated with networking too - like rebooting protocols. She's been fiddling with the NVR for months without a manual and tbh I wouldn't be surprised if she's done something to it. :facepalm:

Yes port forwarding worked fine before the change of ISP service and router model, which is why I instinctively find it hard to believe it's an NVR issue rather than a router/ISP problem. I however don't know the previous forwarding settings as they were inputted 3 years ago by the original installer who we can't contact anymore. My mum did keep this "record" (scribbles out of context more like) of what the settings were so I tried to like.. reverse engineer it but let's be honest I'm clueless. There's something about a firewall disable cache (?? can't read the writing) and DMZ NVR. There's also something written about internal IP address (the NVR's static one which hasn't changed) and port 37777 plus the external IP address (the one on the remote viewing program, not the network's external IP address mind) and port 37777. These things feel somewhat important to me but also not applicable to the new router.

I will do the tracert tomorrow when I go over and post the results. Is that done via cmd by the way? I'll also post some screenshots that might help?

Thanks again for your time! :)

#7 ·
yes done via cmd prompt

"I actually can edit each octet when the DHCP isn't ticked, but my changes aren't saved even after I click save and then exit the screen."

That indicates either you are not logged in under a admin account with the authorization to save or this is a defective unit.

I would be emailing/foruming the NVR's tech support just to check

#8 ·
I would go back and recheck your network settings on the NVR or reset the device to its defaults. I don't think you have it connected to your network properly. Initial set up will probably have to be done by connecting a monitor to the NVR.

Set the NVR to DHCP as a test. Then you should be able to see the NVR as a connected device when logged into your router's software page. When you uncheck the box for DHCP in the NVR's config., you have to manually enter all the LAN info correctly - IP, subnet, gateway, etc. It's supposed to revert to all zeros when DHCP is selected because you no longer have the option to manually enter in a staic address. Sometimes you need to enter 001 (zero-zero-one) in order to get an xxx.1.xxx address. Make sure you click Save, go to a different page, then back to the network settings to make sure your changes have been saved.

You may have to change the remote access ports from port 80 to something else once you get it working. It depends on whicj ports your ISP blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.