Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

port forward issues Netgear WNDR3700

This is a discussion on port forward issues Netgear WNDR3700 within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am trying to forward the ports for several ip network cams, that have built in webservers, on this router.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
GIGO

I am trying to forward the ports for several ip network cams, that have built in webservers, on this router. I have done this before on my old Linksys router with no problems but the Netgear has me stumped.

Steps seem as easy as on the linksys: go to the table and map the local ip address of each cam to a desired port. For instance one cam is 192.168.1.22 and I am mapping it to port 82. Then to access the cam from the Internet I would enter my router ip address with the port appended like xxx.xx.xxx.xx:82. Doesn't work. The cam is not reachable.

The only way I can reach any of these devices from the Internet is to map them to port 80. But that limits me to one device, hence the need to forward more ports.

All cams have fixed ip addresses so it is not an issue of their ip addresses changing.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
Moderator - Networking

When you are inside the network can you access them using 192.168.1.22:82?

Are you trying to access the cameras from outside the network (using a different Internet connection)?

Computers help us fix problems that we would not have without them...

Shekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
GIGO

Currently working inside the network... no, I can't reach it with 192.168.1.22:82. But I can reach it by 192.168.1.22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekka View Post
When you are inside the network can you access them using 192.168.1.22:82?

Are you trying to access the cameras from outside the network (using a different Internet connection)?
Old 01-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
Moderator - Networking

What version of the 3700 are you using? V1, v2, v3? It should be on the bottom of the router.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
GIGO

Strangely there is no version listed on the device. I suspect it is V1. Here is the info from the management interface on the "router status" page:

Hardware Version WNDR3700
Firmware Version V1.0.7.98NA
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.64
Old 01-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
Moderator - Networking

Ok

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WN...009.pdf#page88

On page 5-17, they list the custom port forward setup. I assume you have already done this but just in case..

Make sure you put the same port number in both the start port and end port. Enter in the ip, then test it from outside the network.

You have to make sure you test from outside the network, although some older routers allowed you to test from with in the network using your external ip, it is best to do it from a different Internet connection.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
GIGO

I think I may have figured it out. I think I also need to set the internal port in the devices' advanced setups to match the ports I assign in the router. I didn't do that.

But I have yet another device (3M-50 wifi thermostat) that I am trying to connect to a third party logging site by forwarding the port and I can't find any way to set it's internal port. It's always something.....
Old 01-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
Moderator - Networking

Isn't that true.

Port triggering should do the trick for that though.

That's what it is supposed to be for.... Of course nothing is an exact science...

Old 01-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #9
GIGO

Just found out that the stat's port is locked on 80. So I need a way to map its 80 internal port with an external port to forward that is diffferent. I don't see any obvious way to do that. Maybe port triggering? I have never messed with that before.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
Moderator - Networking

Page 5-18 tells you how you should be able to make the thermostat device work.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
GIGO

Interesting.. but it doesn't work. I have Port Triggering configured as follows:

Top part of screen
Service user: the local ip address of the thermostat (I also tried "any")
Dervice type: TCP
Triggering port: 80

Bottom part of screen
Connection type: TCP/UDP
Starting port: 8080
Ending port: 8080

Device is not reachable via my router external ip with port xxxx.xx.xxx.xx:8080. Neither is it reachable via the website's "check connection" test button here: InThrMa for 3M Filtrete .::. SIGN UP
Old 01-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #12
Moderator - Networking

Did you try DMZ for the thermostat? Just to see if it works?

Old 01-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #13
GIGO

No, haven't done that (DMZ) before either.

As I understand triggering it requires an outbound call to trigger open the inbound port. Sounds more like gaming than what I am doing. I just took a look at the manual for port forwarding for a current Linksys (E4200) and it has a table that lets you map internal port to external port and internal ip address. That sounds like what I need. Hard to believe that Netgear doesn't have the same functionality? Do I need to change routers? What a PITA.

see page 54 here:

http://homedownloads.cisco.com//down...-Final-Web.pdf
Old 01-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #14
Moderator - Networking

That router should be able to do this. It has to be a configuration issue.

Try the dmz to see if it does allow it. If it does then it should just be a matter of changing settings in the port forwards to make it work....

Old 01-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #15
GIGO

Nope, doesn't work.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #16
GIGO

Looks like the Netgear WNDR4500 also has the more functional port forwarding like the Linksys above. Page 91 here:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/fil..._07DEC2011.pdf
Old 01-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #17
Moderator - Networking

Does the thermostat have a web interface? Are you able to log into the thermostat inside the network and adjust settings like you can with the website?

I've never used one of these but it seems like it should configure as any other device would.
If dmz doesn't work then the issue has to something else internally I would think.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #18
GIGO

Oh, I temporarily deleted my other webserver running on port 80 and created one there for the thermostat and it connected right up to the logging website. So confirmed that it is possible. It's just an issue of port mapping and this router just does not appear to have a way to translate internal ports/ip's to differently numbered external ports.

Too bad the stat is locked to 80 since I have a webcam server on 80 that has to be there because 80 is the only port viewable from my work network. Otherwise I could put that server anywhere else and still see it... just not at work where I need to be able to see it. :-/

So it looks like I need to get a new router if I want to use the stat to connect up to this third party site. It works fine as is on the mfgs website cloud but that doesn't have a whole lot of functionality... no data logging for instance.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #19
Moderator - Networking

i just found this entry

"I just set up a 3700 and discovered that port 80 is enabled in the ReadyShare for HTTP use, it is a default setting! I had to disable it to get access to our Web Server using port forwarding.

Just thought I'd mention it even though it seems you are all set. "

On page 5 from this site...

WNDR-3700-More Port Forwarding Issues - NETGEAR Forums

maybe that will help. it doesnt talk about your thermostat but other things that they are trying to do with the same router.

Maybe it will help..
Old 01-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #20
GIGO

It has a very limited web interface that pretty much just sets up the network. Once on the network there is a bit of a procedure to connect it up and authenticate/register it on the RTCOA cloud server.

The settings and data are not visible in the direct interface. They are only available via the RTCOA cloud website interface. Unfortunately the RTCOA website doesn't tap all the data that is available, a key one being usage information. It is there in the server but not reflected to the web interface. 3rd party guys are stepping up with their own services to take advantage of this. RTCOA also provides the API for anyone that wants to widdle and develop their own display and control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekka View Post
Does the thermostat have a web interface? Are you able to log into the thermostat inside the network and adjust settings like you can with the website?

I've never used one of these but it seems like it should configure as any other device would.
If dmz doesn't work then the issue has to something else internally I would think.