Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Please Help , Internet connection keeps going on and off

This is a discussion on Please Help , Internet connection keeps going on and off within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ive been having a problem for the past few days that seems to be "unfixable" , When I googled for

Old 08-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Registered Member

Ive been having a problem for the past few days that seems to be "unfixable" , When I googled for it I found somone on this forum had the same problem , but none of the solutions that were listed were able to work for me. ( virus , restore comp , process causing it )

The topic im talking about is 2wire Ethernet Light Blinking -Very- Rapidly + other problems

Im having the same exact problem as this guy and have the same modem. The internet will go down , and come back up in like 20seconds or so. Also at times I will experience heavy heavy lag. What I noticed is when the internet goes down , the Ethernet light stops blinking and is turned off , once the light turns green , it starts working again.

This problem occures on all the comps in my house , some hooked up via wire and some wireless

Please help me , I even had a at&t tech come to my house and check all the lines , and they all showed up fine so it cant be that. Thank you

Old 08-04-2011, 02:20 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Hello,

Problem might be DHCP related. Ensure that you are using the ethernet ports for wired computers and not the USB.

You'll need to do an ipconfig /all and take note of the ip of the default gateway, use that ip on a web browser to access the web gui. Check the DHCP server scope and assign computers static IP addresses.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:33 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hello there , thanks for responding
If you dont mind , can you post step by step what I need to do?
Also , Ive been running this stepup for the past 2 years and have experienced no trouble , I havent made any changes
Old 08-04-2011, 03:44 AM   #4
Registered Member

Btw if this problem is fixed from any of the solutions posted here I promise to donate to this site , Ive been blowing my brains out trying to figure this problem out , nothing seems to work
Old 08-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
Management Team Networking

Please provide network specs like
modem model
router model

Light blinking on which?
Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
Registered Member

Yeah , my modem is a 2701 HB-B ( 2wire 2701hg-b image by innerlion on Photobucket )

The problem is at times the internet light ( all the way bottom ) goes off for like 10-20seconds , during that period my internet stops working , also during other times my internet starts experiencing heavy lag

The way my setup is hooked up is my modem is connected to a Etherfast 4116 router ( Google Image Result for http://www.ccbnonprofits.com/Images/products/I147196.jpg )

then from that router I have bunch of blue wires which are hooked up in a way that every ethernet port in my house can give me dsl , Ive had this setup for years and have no ran across a problem
Old 08-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
Networking Team |Tech

Connect directly to your modem via the ethernet for a lengthy period of time to truly test the connection.

This will diagnose if its router or modem related.

MCP | MCDST | MCSA
IT-Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
The problem is at times the internet light ( all the way bottom ) goes off for like 10-20seconds , during that period my internet stops working , also during other times my internet starts experiencing heavy lag
If it's the Internet light it might be the line. You could be getting a noisy signal, did you install filters for your home phone and the modem? Also have you done a modem reset?

Check the filters aren't bad also but swapping it out, check the phone jack aren't corroded or damaged?

If none of these are the case I would request a new modem from the ISP.