Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Permanently Changing IP address.

This is a discussion on Permanently Changing IP address. within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello. I have visited TSF today to ask a question regarding my IP address. I am currently banned from a

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello.

I have visited TSF today to ask a question regarding my IP address.
I am currently banned from a game server I've been playing for months now, under false pretences of 'exploiting', I have tried to appeal this ban but have not had much luck.

The game I was playing was Grand Theft Auto:San Andreas multiplayer, which used an application to make the game open to multiplayer modes, as well as servers to host various games.

The server I played on has currently blocked my IP address, I'm not sure if it's my ISP or my whole computer's address that was blocked, I'm not too sure if theres even a difference between the two IP's.

So, I have come here today to ask if anyone knows of a way in which I could change my IP address permanently, so I can re-access this game server.

I currently have the following installed:
Norton Internet Security 2003
Norton Anti-virus 2003
Zone Alarm firewall
AVG anti-virus
Snoopfree Privacy Shield 1.0.7

I have my IP currently masked, which was done by one of the two firewalls I have installed (which are both compatible).
Although I'm not sure which of the two firewalls is hiding my IP address.

Is there any way I could change this IP which is currently replacing my original IP address?

Also, is there any harm in permanently changing my computer's IP address?

If there are any applications I could run to change my IP address, or at least re-mask it with a different IP, I wouldn't mind hearing about them.

Thanks to anyone who can assist me with this issue.

EDIT: Apologies if this was posted in the wrong forum, I'm not quite sure what it could be categorised as.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via MSN to carsey

Chances are, if you are running an application to get onto the server and to create multiplayer games then it will have been the server which banned you for doing that.

Unless you have a dynamic IP address, then it is impossible to change it unless you ring your ISP and they would be extremely suspicious to why you are doing this.

It might be even a hardware ban on your computer, punkbuster use them, which you will not be able to play any other punkbuster game.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #3
alt
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to alt

It is up to your Provider what IP address you are given. Usually, depending on your ISP...you are given an address on lease for a certain amount of time (days) and usually it will be released and you will be given a new address. You can Purchase a "permanent" or known as Static IP address from your ISP...usually costs involved. I have been banned from servers for no reason as well and a month later (or so) I can rejoin because my IP was renewed.

If they ban you by your Account ID...then you are virtually screwed...unless you can create a new account or you can work out something with them.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsey View Post
Chances are, if you are running an application to get onto the server and to create multiplayer games then it will have been the server which banned you for doing that.

Unless you have a dynamic IP address, then it is impossible to change it unless you ring your ISP and they would be extremely suspicious to why you are doing this.
I wasn't running any applications to create my own multiplayer games within a certain server, I was merely playing the game as normal, and had accidentally discovered an exploit which I was banned for, although I didn't continue to use it after discovering it.

I'm sure the actual server banned me, as I can access other servers.

I'm not quite sure if I'm on a dynamic IP address, Is there any way to test it? also, wouldn't my net-mask IP address (the one that replaces the actual IP address for security) be the one that was banned? as the server wouldn't have detected my actual IP.

As for the comment about an application permanently blocking me, such as PunkBuster, I'm sure it isn't the case for this, as I went onto the server's forums and it was mentioned that my IP was banned, there wasn't any mentioning of an application blocking me.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:13 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt View Post
It is up to your Provider what IP address you are given. Usually, depending on your ISP...you are given an address on lease for a certain amount of time (days) and usually it will be released and you will be given a new address. You can Purchase a "permanent" or known as Static IP address from your ISP...usually costs involved. I have been banned from servers for no reason as well and a month later (or so) I can rejoin because my IP was renewed.

If they ban you by your Account ID...then you are virtually screwed...unless you can create a new account or you can work out something with them.
Well, I am quite certain it wasn't my account that was banned, as you can pretty much make as many accounts as you want in a matter of seconds, totally free, and I have tried using new characters, but it says that I've been banned still.

Also, would renewing IP addresses take a fixed amont of time? as you mentioned it took a month, is that the case with all ISPs?

Wouldn't my net-mask IP be the one that was banned? as it was blocking my actual IP, so it could all be a matter of changing that net-mask IP, which I'm not sure how to do.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:14 AM   #6
alt
Registered Member

MOST providers do not provide static addresses for free...so chances are you have a dynamic address. You might have to wait it out until you are released a new address. The only thing I can think of is to try contacting your provider...but going through technical support would be a Major pain because they will have no clue what you are wanting to do...and why you are wanting to do it... Unless maybe you can talk to a "technician".
Old 12-26-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
alt
Registered Member

Your "net masked" IP is the IP you are given on your LOCAL network..not your provider. You were banned by your "external IP" (given by your ISP)...fast way to see this IP... is to access your router config...

or go to www.ipchicken.com :) << this is the IP the server banned you by.