Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Open specific file type on server

721 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  JimE 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

Sorry for the vague title. This one is a little tough to describe succinctly, which is why searching Google wasn't a fruitful endeavour.

All right, so I recently set up a server in my home. It's used mainly to load off some tasks that are currently handled by my desktop PC, such as an online backup client and a Subsonic server, among other things. I'm also looking into perhaps extending its use to serve as a media centre.

Now here's what I currently want to accomplish: Let's say I have a file on my desktop PC. The two systems are linked and able to read and write to each other's hard drives. Now I want said file to be double clicked on my desktop PC and have it open on the server. I want to effectively assign a file type on my desktop to an application on the server.

Is there any way to do this? I know that I could just copy said file to my server and open it using a remote desktop connection or use Pushbullet or something, but I'm pretty much building this thing to make everything quicker and easier; not to add extra steps to certain processes.

Both systems are running Windows 10 x64.

See less See more
#2 ·
"Now I want said file to be double clicked on my desktop PC and have it open on the server"

That operation is against the rules of computing. Where you open the file is critical as to what systems memory and processor is used.

Windows 10 is not a server system.

What you want is RDP services so the file /app is opened on the server and its just video/keystokes/mouse movements done locally. All processing is done on the server.

#3 ·
I understand that actually opening a file on one PC will indeed do just that. But is it not somehow possible to assign a file extension telling it to actually execute on a different PC, possibly using additional software to make this happen? I reckon it's possible theoretically, but I don't know if anyone's done the work. And if anyone has, I can't find it.

I apologise if I'm not being crystal clear. I've got the issue mapped out in my head but even in my native language, it's hard to explain.

#4 ·
"But is it not somehow possible to assign a file extension telling it to actually execute on a different PC"

Sorry to break it to you but no that is not possible. at least given what we have to work with today.

Your language skills are excellent. Wish mine were the same [only speak English]

This is one of the reasons RDP [terminal services] exist.

My last job we ran thin clients to a RDP cluster for an enterprise across two states. No computing took place locally. It was all done on the server. This is what you are asking about.

Closest I can get you to what you want is bring up a VM [virtual machine /server] on one of the pcs and connect to it via a software client to run the software you want to run.

BTW your question goes back to the early days of computing. knowledge is power but it is also limiting. Just like computing

#5 ·
Bummer. I'll have to make do then.

Just to clarify: This is only a practical impossibility within Windows at this time, right? I can't imagine software designed for this specific purpose would be hindered by these limitations as long as both systems are running said hypothetical software. Programs in Windows can be assigned file types and they can also transmit data over networks. Someone could theoretically design the functionality I seek...right? (yes, I'm thinking of taking matters into my own hands.)

#6 ·
I'm sure they could easily create such an OS or software, but it's a huge security issue.

In regards to Windows (and likely all other OS's), all operations are performed on the computer which is being used to perform those actions. You can open, view, edit, etc. files from any other computer on the network, but all of those actions are performed on the local PC (not the remote PC). As noted, the only way to perform actions on a remote computer, is via a remote desktop application. In which case, you are simply assuming control of that computer (and again all actions are local).

Maybe a description of exactly what you are trying to accomplish would help in finding a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.