Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

One Computer slows down in Afternoons

This is a discussion on One Computer slows down in Afternoons within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have a peculiar issue. I have one computer, and only one computer, whose performance drops dramatically during the

Old 03-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I have a peculiar issue. I have one computer, and only one computer, whose performance drops dramatically during the afternoons. Usually this starts around 2:00pm and will last the rest of the shift but in the mornings its fine.

I've tried everything( rebooting, defraging, checking to see if there is an anti-virus scheduled to scan during that time .... ) and still no luck. I've been working on this for a month now. I am at my wits end with this and it doesn't help that the user reports it EVERY TIME it happens. I know! I'll tell you if its fixed for crying out loud! Man its fustrating.

There is also an issue with an HP 4345 mfp printer in the office. It will not send what it scans. Instead it will send the usual e-mail without an attachment then will follow it up with another e-mail stating:

******* HP Digital Sending: Delivery Error *****

The following job has not been delivered. Please retry sending the job. If the problem continues contact your network administrator.

I figure these two issues are related because I am unable to load the web interface of the printer at the same time of day the computer slows down. No, the computer is not hosting the printer.

Is there anything that comes to your guys' minds. Something I should look into maybe? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks

Old 03-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
Registered Member

#1 for me would be to disconnect the printer when the computer slows down and see if it speeds back up. If so, you know it's the printer causing the problem. Likewise, disconnect the computer from the network when the printer stops working and see if the printer works. Isolating the problem will help solve it.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

I'll try that but I'm going to be honest, I'm a bit pessemistic about that. Not sure how one would effect the other only at a certain time of day rather than all day. I'm desperate though and I'll give it a try. I'll keep you posted, thanks.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
Registered Member

There was no change in either. We may have figured it out though. It looks like it may be an old switch that is failing. We are now in the process of changing it.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
Registered Member

Haha, a failing switch was going to be my next suggestion.