Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

No IP Address

This is a discussion on No IP Address within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey there, I apologize in advance for posting on a fairly common problem, but I've read through other posts &

Old 02-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey there,

I apologize in advance for posting on a fairly common problem, but I've read through other posts & tried their advice to no avail. Recently I updated my Firefox & ever since I've not been able to connect to the internet. It will detect wireless networks with all five bars & the connection works on my friends' computers in the same room, but mine is never able to acquire a network address. I don't have any firewalls running that I'm aware of & I've since uninstalled Firefox but can't connect with Internet Explorer either. I ran the CMD script, but couldn't copy/paste without an internet connection, so I attached a photo of the message instead.

Any ideas? Thanks so much for your time. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated at this point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	105214  

Old 02-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
Moderator - Networking

Try disabling EEE 802.1x authentication for your wireless connection profile.

Start - control panel - network connection - right click on Wireless Network Connection and click properties

Select wireless networks tab. Then under your preferred networks find your wireless connection and highlight it. Then click properties and then the Authentication tab.

remove the check mark for Enable IEEE 802.1x Authenticationfor this network.

click ok and close all windows. You might have to reboot or disable and re-enable your wireless card to see if that helps.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Can you also provide an ipconfig of your friends?

Do you have two routers connected to each other?
Old 02-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks so much for responding. No luck with disabling EEE 802.1x authentication. It still gets stuck on 'Acquiring network address' without ever connecting.

The ipconfig for my friends' computers on the same network is as follows:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
C:\Documents and Settings\ac8732>ipconfig
Windows IP Configuration
Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : westell.com
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.254.104
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.254.254
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
C:\Documents and Settings\ac8732>

My computer still says no IP address. We don't have two routers connecting. Just the one modem & router. Thanks again!
Old 02-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
Management Team Networking

You are not connecting to your router.
redo your wifi profile making sure you have the correct wifi encryption passphrase.

You also have ip routing set to yes. It should be no. Right mouse click on the lan or wifi card in lan connections and undo any sharing.
All of your dns entries are invalid. Review your tcp/ip settings /advanced and remove any added dns entries.

Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote