Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

New Router blocking file sharing?

This is a discussion on New Router blocking file sharing? within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello everyone. I installed a new D-Link DSL-2640B router not long ago. I previously had a netgear router installed and

Old 08-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello everyone. I installed a new D-Link DSL-2640B router not long ago. I previously had a netgear router installed and had file sharing setup without a problem. The new router has been installed for a couple of months, but I do not use file sharing very often. I tried to transfer files today and it will not work... I can access the internet on all machines (2 XP, 1 Vista, 1 Win 7) and can see all computers, but get a "path not found" error when I try to access any of the computers (I have tried all directions too, XP to Vista, Vista to XP, Vista to Win 7, etc)

I have checked all settings on each computer and they all appear to be correct as they should be because I did not change anything on any of then when I switched routers... All are setup for sharing and all are on the same workgroup.

I assume the problem must be with the router. I did the auto setup on the router and it worked for for internet access. After realizing there was a sharing problem I reset it and chose PPPoE connection type and tried with and without NAT and with and without a firewall.... Nothing...

Any ideas?
blakrapter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

I suspect you have a firewall configuration issue. D-Link routers typically operate on the 192.168.0.x subnet, and Netgear models usually run on the 192.168.1.x subnet.

Disable ALL firewalls and see if that makes a difference.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
Registered Member

johnwill,

That was it! I turned off the firewalls and it worked, so I went back and made sure my network was "trusted" and it all works beautifully now. Thanks!
blakrapter is offline   Reply With Quote