Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

New D-link dir 655, wireless very slow

This is a discussion on New D-link dir 655, wireless very slow within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. First, i apologize about the length of this post, but i'm just trying to give as much information as I

Old 02-28-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
Registered Member

First, i apologize about the length of this post, but i'm just trying to give as much information as I can think of.
I went from a Belkin N1 (very unreliable) to a new dlink dir655 (upgraded firmware yesterday (1.21), a4 hardware version) and my wireless is very slow. My wired connection on my main computer has seen about a 10-15% decrease in speed, while my wireless has seen a 50-60% decrease.
All my cables are within a month or two old.
I used the dns server addresses from my carrier (att dsl 68.94.156.1). After still not resolving the slowness, I used Open dns addresses for the primary, and the problem remains.
Ive given all my devices a static IP. (psp, 3 laptops (two vista, one linux), two desktops, ps3, ipod, cellphone). (max 3 wireless devices, 1 wired on at a time.. average 1 wireless and 1 wired)
My ps3 is using a wired connection, and instead of the 3 green bars for COD4, im now getting one yellow bar (lag). Ive set up port forwarding to the correct settings (using portforward.com). The lag didnt decrease, and putting it in DMZ, did nothing.

(I realize discussing P2P is against the rules, so i dont want any help with that, but im posting it just to give more information that may help solve my problem) Ive followed the speed guidelines on my P2P for one wireless pc, and with 4 seeders havent been able to get past 20kbps (normally 60-80), while on the wired, im getting 80+ (used port forwarding, and 80 is normal).

Im using a wep 128 encryption broadcasting in b/g. I have no issues with signal strength on any devices. (all 3-4 out of 4 bars). I have light traffic in my area, and a channel change does nothing.
I have the router bridged with the modem (I think that is the term. I didnt enter pppoe, instead, I did dhcp)
The router is set to enable dhcp.
I do not want to limit speeds to any device, so I didnt set up QoS.
I have pretty low traffic in my area, and a change of channels hasnt solved anything.
I have shut the firewalls off on all devices.
Ive rebooted everything numerous times.
Ive enabled/disabled IPv6.

A google has shown a few people have speed issues with this router, however, most posts in forums are never resolved by the poster. They dont post enough information, they dont say if they fixed the problem by doing..., they have an older firmware/hardware version, and it has yet to be determined if the router is the actual cause of the problem.

For what its worth, I am a beginner when it comes to home networking, but ive always managed to google my problem to fix it.

Does anyone have suggestions on what I should try?

Old 03-01-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Run the following line quality tests connected directly to the broadband modem, then again with a wired connection through the router.

Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. It's best to run this test with a direct wired connection to eliminate any wireless issues from the results. It's useful many times to run this test several times, and we'd like to see each of the results. Post the results link from the top of the test display page for each test run here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
Registered Member

http://www.dslreports.com/testhistory/1625414/a7cd2
This is with the wired connection.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
Registered Member

sorry, double post
Old 03-03-2009, 06:32 AM   #5
Microsoft MVP

My System

Well, all of your tests show serious line quality issues! If any of those are with a direct connection to the modem, I'd like you to do one more test.

Boot in Safe Mode with Networking, then run the line quality test again connected directly to the modem. If this still comes up with lost packets, it's most likely an ISP or modem issue.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
Registered Member

I did three more line tests in safe mode hooked directly to the computer, and all three were the same 0% loss.
http://www.dslreports.com/testhistory/1625414/a7cd2
So obviously, the line and modem are fine, its an issue with either my computer or apps running in the background.
i upgrade my dsl to 6mpbs, but the speed issue on the router still exists.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
Microsoft MVP

My System

Using MSCONFIG, try disabling groups of applications until you narrow down the offending application. Obviously, something is stepping on the connection.