Status
Not open for further replies.

[NetworkProfile] Intermittent Wireless Connectivity

3K views 20 replies 3 participants last post by  jenae 
#1 ·
Hi,

Searching the forums, I found that my issue is exactly the same as these 4:

So to summarize the issue:
Intermittent connectivity with wireless connection; using a desktop computer.
Laptop and phone not affected with issue.
Have a never manually before set network profile named NetworkProfile (1x of it after first disconnection, increased to 2x after second;and maintained the 2x since)​

Also:
  • cleared said PC of virus/trojan (Ramnit.A) with Windows Defender,and spyware (using Malwarebytes), but issue remains.
  • Ran Windows Network Diagnostics during disconnection with this error: Problem with wireless adapter or access point
  • Noting the [SOLVED] thread's solution where s/he solved by restoring the PC to its factory settings; sorry, I do not wish to take that route unless there is/are no other better options.

So here, as per the Pre-posting Requirements:
  1. Issue: Wireless
  2. Code:
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Skyferia-PC
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D8-CB-8A-E2-8A-E2
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TeamViewer VPN Adapter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-D8-C6-96-F9

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 3:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter #3
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 5E-08-6B-1B-94-12

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 5:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 1E-08-6B-1B-94-12

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi 3:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros AR938x Wireless Network Adapter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : EC-08-6B-1B-94-12
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::257f:bd1a:a0bb:166a%12(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.106(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, January 20, 2017 2:36:29 PM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, January 27, 2017 2:40:14 PM
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 367790187
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1E-FD-61-95-D8-CB-8A-E2-8A-E2
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:4860:4860::8888
                                           2001:4860:4860::8844
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
  3. ISP: Malaysian ISP Provider - TIME
  4. Broadband Type: Fibre
  5. Make and Model of Router: D-Link DIR-850L
  6. Windows Version: Windows 10 Enterprise
  7. Antivirus: Windows Defender
  8. Antispyware: Malwarebytes
  9. Xirrus Result (also attached)

Hope you can help solve; thanks in advance.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Is "DeviFamily" is your router? Go into the properties of the Wireless Card and see if you can force it to connect to the 2.4 Ghz connection.

If that doesnt work power cycle the modem, and router. Power down both, then power up the modem, and wait until all lights stabilize, then power up router.

#5 ·
Is "DeviFamily" is your router?
Yes it is: https://goo.gl/Anh9KW
Also I just noticed this anomaly ("DeviFamily" shown connected in the TP-Link Wireless Configuration Utility while in the Windows one, "NetworkProfile" is shown connected; which is unlike the case of the "DeviFamily-5GHz").

If any, I'm responding right now through "DeviFamily" connectivity; and the Wi-Fi adapter used for the connectivity is this: Qualcomm Atheros AR938x Wireless Network Adapter (or so it says, but from what I can recall, it's a TP-Link model).

Go into the properties of the Wireless Card and see if you can force it to connect to the 2.4 Ghz connection.
How do I do that? I went as far as to the properties, but can't see the option to force connect.

If that doesnt work power cycle the modem, and router. Power down both, then power up the modem, and wait until all lights stabilize, then power up router.
For how long shall I power them down before powering up the modem (and the router after)?

#6 ·
Are you using any TP-Link network adapters, or did you install this software? All I see in your first post is a D-Link DIR-850L router, and the Atheros Wireless Card.

I would disable, or uninstall the TP-Link software. Here is how to disable;
https://www.wireless-driver.com/disable-wireless-utility-use-wzc-service/

Then let Windows manage your wireless connection.
On one of the screenshots, you are connected to the 2.4 Ghz wireless band, so disregard that.

When power cycling, unplug modem, and router wait about a minute then power up one at a time.

#7 ·
Are you using any TP-Link network adapters, or did you install this software? All I see in your first post is a D-Link DIR-850L router, and the Atheros Wireless Card.
Aren't they the same?
If not: Then is the driver that TP-Link provided to install incorrect?
If yes: Then I believe the card is TP-Link as I clearly remember purchasing a TP-Link model (quite similar to this); while the driver for it being a Qualcomm one.

When power cycling, unplug modem, and router wait about a minute then power up one at a time.
Alright noted, thanks.

I would disable, or uninstall the TP-Link software. Here is how to disable;
https://www.wireless-driver.com/disable-wireless-utility-use-wzc-service/

Then let Windows manage your wireless connection.
On one of the screenshots, you are connected to the 2.4 Ghz wireless band, so disregard that.
I'll perform this when I can in around 9-12 hours after this post as I need to sleep now. Will update accordingly after done.

Shall I power cycle after if that didn't work?

#8 ·
Couldn't find the 'edit post' option, so the update:
Click Start –> Run, Type “msconfig” and click OK, Go to the tab 'Startup'
Uncheck 'Wireless LAN Utility', Click Apply and OK
Reboot the computer

Then you go to Start -> Control Panel -> (Performance and Maintenance) -> Administrative Tools
Double click Services and look for the Wireless Zero Configuration.
Rightclick it and click Properties.
Set the Startuptype to 'Automatic' and press Start
Click Apply and OK.

Right click the wireless connection, select 'Status' and click 'Properties.
Select the tab 'Wireless Connection'
Check the option 'Use Windows to configure my wireless connection'.
Click OK and restart the computer.

Now you can use the standard Windows Utility to configure your connection.
I'm stuck at the one in bold underlined (the ones in bold are the steps I did not perform yet).
  1. I do not know the wireless connection that is being referred to.
  2. I could right-click neither the Wi-Fi 'pop-up' (after clicking the Windows wi-fi icon at the taskbar) nor the Wi-Fi section in Windows Settings (Win key + I); although the latter is labeled Wi-Fi 3.

#11 · (Edited)
Hi, your sig shows windows ten (must be if you used win + i to open settings) most of what you have attempted refers to windows XP you cannot start the wzcsvc (windows zero configuration) since it does not exist as a win 10 service.

It is probably best if we start again.

Go to start search and type powershell, right click on the returned powershell.exe and select "run as administrator" at the powershell prompt copy and paste:- (I have put what you need to copy in red, to make it clearer for you, it does not need to be copied as red)

Get-NetAdapterHardwareInfo | out-file c:\forum.txt
Notepad C:\forum.txt

(press enter) please copy as shown here (two lines), copy paste the notepad output here.

Next still at the powershell prompt copy paste:- (two lines)

Get-NetAdapter | ft Name, DriverFileName, DriverData, DriverDescription |out-file c:\adapter.txt
Notepad c:\adapter.txt

(press enter) please copy the notepad output here.

Next still at powershell prompt copy paste:- (two lines)

Get-NetIPConfiguration | out-file c:\ipconfig.txt
notepad c:\ipconfig.txt

(press enter), post output here. So three notepad outputs.

EDIT I should have mentioned powershell works a little differently to a cmd prompt, when you copy text and open powershell, you need only to right click anywhere in the powershell window and the text will append to the prompt(so no need to actually paste.. cool isn't it)

#12 ·
Hi jenae, thanks for replying.

Yes it is Windows 10 as shown.

Here:

#1: adapter.txt
Get-NetAdapterHardwareInfo | out-file c:\forum.txt
Notepad C:\forum.txt
Code:
Name                           Segment Bus Device Function Slot NumaNode PcieLinkSpeed PcieLinkWidth Version
----                           ------- --- ------ -------- ---- -------- ------------- ------------- -------
Ethernet                             0   4      0        0                    2.5 GT/s             1 1.1    
Wi-Fi 3                              0   2      0        0                    2.5 GT/s             1 1.1
#2: forum.txt
Get-NetAdapter | ft Name, DriverFileName, DriverData, DriverDescription |out-file c:\adapter.txt
Notepad c:\adapter.txt
Code:
Name                         DriverFileName    DriverData DriverDescription                               
----                         --------------    ---------- -----------------                               
Ethernet                     rt640x64.sys                 Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller              
Wi-Fi 3                      athw8x.sys                   Qualcomm Atheros AR938x Wireless Network Adapter
Ethernet 2                   teamviewervpn.sys            TeamViewer VPN Adapter                          
Bluetooth Network Connection bthpan.sys                   Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
#3: ipconfig.txt
Get-NetIPConfiguration | out-file c:\ipconfig.txt
notepad c:\ipconfig.txt
Code:
InterfaceAlias       : Wi-Fi 3
InterfaceIndex       : 12
InterfaceDescription : Qualcomm Atheros AR938x Wireless Network Adapter
NetProfile.Name      : DeviFamily-5GHz
IPv4Address          : 192.168.0.106
IPv6DefaultGateway   : 
IPv4DefaultGateway   : 192.168.0.1
DNSServer            : 2001:4860:4860::8888
                       2001:4860:4860::8844

InterfaceAlias       : Bluetooth Network Connection
InterfaceIndex       : 16
InterfaceDescription : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
NetAdapter.Status    : Disconnected

InterfaceAlias       : Ethernet 2
InterfaceIndex       : 17
InterfaceDescription : TeamViewer VPN Adapter

InterfaceAlias       : Ethernet
InterfaceIndex       : 15
InterfaceDescription : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
EDIT I should have mentioned powershell works a little differently to a cmd prompt, when you copy text and open powershell, you need only to right click anywhere in the powershell window and the text will append to the prompt(so no need to actually paste.. cool isn't it)
Ya it is cool, didn't know this existed. Thanks! Don't you want to change the forum Smilies? They're kinda dated.

#13 ·
Hi, you are using google's DNS servers, we will remove them and disable IP/v6.

Go to start search and type:-

ncpa.cpl (press enter) your network connections will open, right click on your wifi connection and select "status". WiFi status will open uncheck the box next to "Internet protocol version 6 (tcp/ipv6)".

Next:- Highlight the entry "Internet protocol version 4 (tcp/ipv4)" and from the same window click on "Properties" Internet protocol version 4..... properties will open.
Put a check in the hot button next to:-

Obtain an IP address automatically.

also put a check in the hot button next to:-

Obtain DNS server address automatically.

OK out and restart (not shutdown) computer, try your connection now. You have run winsock reset it might need tcp/ip stack resetting as well..(takes a bit of work) for now just see how you get on.

#16 ·
Hi, sorry for the late response. The last method seemed to have worked.

To inform on what was performed:

Hi, you are using google's DNS servers, we will remove them and disable IP/v6.

OK out and restart (not shutdown) computer, try your connection now. You have run winsock reset it might need tcp/ip stack resetting as well..(takes a bit of work) for now just see how you get on.
Hi, don't know why you would need the dns servers? Try as I suggested and then switch back to the servers if you wish. Uncheck ip/v6.

Otherwise we need to look further for your problem.
Done as you mentioned,
except for the re-resetting of the winsock
but did the tcp/ip stack resetting following this (the 'Let me Fix it Myself' part): https://goo.gl/xRyxKL

After doing the above,

I did: Test with Google DNS active after about an hour, for an hour. Connectivity stable.

I did not: Switch back to IpV6

I'm curious, could enabling IpV6 cause intermittent connectivity?
Also will monitor a little longer before confirming that the issue is solved. Will update in a day or two.

#18 ·
Hi, don't know why you would need the dns servers? Try as I suggested and then switch back to the servers if you wish. Uncheck ip/v6.

Otherwise we need to look further for your problem.
Hi, it's been over a week since. To clarify, does the non-response to this thread mean that you've done all you can and can no longer proceed? But if that was the case, I believe that that would have been already stated earlier.

I'm confused, can you kindly clarify if possible? Thanks in advance.

#20 ·
Sorry for not stopping by your post. I reread your original post, and also read up on the virus you had. It is a bad one, you can read about it here;
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/521211/infected-with-win32ramnita-virus/

It could be your issue, you should post in the Virus / Malware section of the forum; Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help
also read the pre-posting requirements; http://www.techsupportforum.com/for...-posting-for-malware-removal-help-305963.html

If it were me, I would do a format, and reinstall of windows.

#21 ·
Hi, could well be remnants of the virus still lurking, I did have some other ideas, try these, and if no joy follow alpenadiver's advice.

Press the win +x keys and select command prompt (admin) at the prompt copy paste

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 (press enter)

Next:-
Type the following command

start devmgmt.msc (press enter) Device manager will open.

Under "view" select "show hidden devices" expand the tree to locate your Network Adapters. If you see any network devices that have a faded icon they are hidden (phantom devices) right click on any you find and select uninstall.

Next at the command prompt (as admin, as shown) we will reset tcp/Ip stack again. I note you did this following a MS site, Win 10 was not listed in the applies to list.

All you really need to do is copy and paste.

First:-

Copy all below (highlighted in red to make it easier for you, does not need to be copied in red)

\registry\machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nsi\{eb004a00-9b1a-11d4-9123-0050047759bc}\26 [7 8]

Now open Notepad and paste this text into it. Next in notepad go to the main menu and under"File" select "save as" call it Resetip.txt and save it to c: drive, the file is now located at c:\resetip.txt

Next press the win + x keys together, from the menu select, command prompt (admin) a command prompt will open.

At the prompt, please copy and paste:-

regini c:\resetip.txt (press enter).

This will reset the registry permissions on the above registry key.(you will not see any indication of this the default prompt will simply reappear (means it has worked).

NOTE:- this permission change will revert to defaults after a restart, so it is perfectly safe.

Now still at the cmd prompt we copy paste:-

netsh int ip reset (press enter)

The tcp/ip stack is rebuilt. (at this stage do not restart computer)

Next:- copy paste:-

netsh winsock reset (press enter)

This will reset winsock

You will be asked to restart your computer, do so, please use restart not shutdown (important). Test your internet now.

Windows ten anniversary update includes a compete network reset (first for MS) Have a good read through this.. I would get the all clear re virus first, if the above does not fix your problem.

https://www.howtogeek.com/265870/ho...network-in-windows-10-and-start-from-scratch/

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.