Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Network Printers issue

This is a discussion on Network Printers issue within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am trying to resolve a problem that I have never seen before: My networked Kyocera printers, and only the

Old 03-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #1
Registered Member

I am trying to resolve a problem that I have never seen before: My networked Kyocera printers, and only the Kyocera printers are experiencing severe packet loss. When I ping them, I experience 33% - 48% packet loss.

I have 4 Kyocera printers in my environment - two 3035's and two 9420's. In addition, I have a variety of Brother, HP & Dell networked printers. The printers are all on their own subnet. All of the networked printers are managed by a Windows 2008 server with the print server role installed. When I execute a ping -t <ip address> on my printers, all of the non-Kyocera printers come back clean - no packet loss. The Kyocera's, however, will either time out 33% - 48% of the time or reply with a Destination Host Unreachable message. Also, when I watch the times, the responses will be <1ms for a while and then spike to 300ms - 500ms sometimes reaching as high as 2000ms. I am really stumped as to why only the Kyocera's are being affected and cannot imagine what the common thread is. They live on different switches and share switch space with printers and workstations that are having no such issues. It makes no sense that all of the network cards would go bad at the same time nor that all of the switch ports could do likewise.

We have tried taking the print server out of the equation by powering it down and saw no change. Hard-coding the switch port and ethernet settings of the printer yielded no positive results either. The Kyocera's actually have two network ports -one for print jobs and the other dedicated to scanning, so we attached a laptop to one of the ports with a crossover cable and was able to ping the other port cleanly from it. The next thing we are about to try is to unplug all of the network cables save one from the Kyoceras and see if it will ping clean.

This all started a little over a week ago, but to the best of my knowledge, no network infrastructure changes were made. When it began, it was just a blip or two, but it has steadily worsened over time to the point where no print or scan jobs will function properly.

If anyone has any suggestions on where I might search for a solution, I would be extremely grateful. If more information is needed, I would be happy to supply any answers I can.

Thank you

Old 03-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
Management Team Networking

I would put this down to solely a problem with the Kyocera's.
See if there isn't a firmware update for the network controllers
Contact Kyocera tech support. Perhaps its a known issue.
Wand3r3r is online now   Reply With Quote