Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Network Error

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Deleted 03/18/17 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am not sure where I have gone wrong.

I am in a house with 3 levels. My ISP and main router is on the second level.

First level and Third level have a hard wired connections into the router on each floor.

Previously the above instead of routers were switches.

Here is the issue I am having. Whenever we have guests over the weekend , for some reason the network connection only works for a few hours at a time.
During the week when we have no guests the network connection is fine.

The routers are brand new and have been updated with the latest firmware.

Currently all routers are the same: Make : NETIS Model:WF2412

The original switches were : Make :Tenda Model: G1008D

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong. Can it be over usage as its a residential line?:banghead:

See less See more
#2 ·
What sort of speed are you achieving on each level
connect a pc to each router with a cable and do a speedtest.net
Are you using the wireless on each of the routers - if so , how have you setup
again connect to each routers wireless and do a speedtest.net

you can also run xirrus and see what sort of signal you get - post some screen shots with details of where you where when taken - see below

Also what are your guests doing, playing games, watch video or just general email/surfing ?

How have you connected the Routers to the Main router - are you connected LAN to LAN
so the router on each floor is just acting like a switch

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together

full details here

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC
You will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file to the faulty PC and install the program.
You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.
If you do not have another PC
Do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply​

http://go.pardot.com/l/66982/2015-01-26/2361i - Version 1
https://www.xirrus.com/inspector/ Version 2
enter you details
This will Download the file " WiFiInspector-Setup-......."
( the site now appears to allow webbased emails like gmail, hotmail, outlook and yahoo to be used )

Alternative links - Use the links below
Do NOT use any of the download managers offered - Cnet , just use the direct link below - and click on the download button
Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector Download
Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.
Also available from Microsoft downloads here https://www.microsoft.com/net/download
Stand alone version of.net framework https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49981
On windows 8 - (i do not have windows 8) but, it would appear that, When you first try to run, you may get a message that .net framework is needed, and included in that message is a link to download/install.

Run the program

A user guide is available under the HELP menu option

post a screen shot of the program running.
if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

Note:
From the Version 1 user guide
For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

From the Version 2 Guide
You will typically want at least one Wi-Fi network (SSID) in the 5GHz frequency or one in 2.4GHz at levels of -65dBm or higher in all areas where Wi-Fi is supported.

How to provide Screen Shot
To post a screen shot of the active window.

Vista or Windows 7
you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-the-windows-snipping-tool/

Windows 8 & 10
you can use the snipping tool > Open Snipping Tool
(From the Windows 8 Start Screen, or windows 10 Search, type "snip" and press enter)
(From windows 10 - All Apps>Windows Accessories>Snipping Tool
>Press the Esc. key.
>go back to your Windows 8 start screen - Swipe from left or press Window Button
>Press Ctrl+PrntScr button to use Snipping Tool
see here
How to take a screenshot in Windows 8 - Feature - PC Advisor
How to take a screenshot in Windows 8 - How-To - PC Advisor

To upload the screen shot to the forum, bottom right of your post are some buttons ("Upload File" button) and then select the file you want to upload, click on "Open", and the file will be attached to the post.

#4 ·
Here is the diagram.

I did a speed check direct from the ISP modem upload speed was 10mps and download was 43mps

Connected the 3 routers test provided same results.

Turned on all 3 smart Tv's. 1 on each level connected to it's router on that floor.

WIFI Speed Download 27.0mbs and upload was 9.0mbs.

I tried them with the switches and got the same result.

I hope the diagram helps.

Attachments

#5 ·
First thing I see is the TV seem to be connected to both the router on the first and 3rd level. When the routers were switches, this wouldnt be a issue because the switch routes all the traffic to the main router. If you have multuple devices connected to multiple routers, there can be IP conflicts and redundant DHCP. Why did you replace the switch with routers? Especially end of life routers?

Also, that router is not designed for performance. It's a Mini AP with router function. It's more of a router you take with you when you go on vacation.. not the type to power your entire home network. I am not surprised your wireless speed goes down when multiple TVs try to connect to them.

#7 · (Edited)
I am sorry for all the confusion. Lets see if this diagram helps.

The issue seems to be only when I have about 15-18 people in the house.
When there is 3-4 I have no issues. All smart tv's connected to the internet.

BTW: It seems to me it's an ISP issue. When the guest were there this last weekend. We could all connect to the routers and WIFI. But were not getting internet. This was consistent. It would only last a few hours and we would lose internet connection.

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
channel 5 should be changed to channel 1 so you have no overlapping signals.

assuming the isp modem is really a router all three routers should be plugged into it not routers 2 and 3 plugged into 1. Otherwise Router 1 is really busy handling all that traffic when it would only have to handle its own if plugged into the isp router.

When the internet goes out do the phone cease to work?

If 27mbps divided by 18 people comes out to 1.5mbps per person which may very well be seen as no internet.

#9 ·
I am having a difficult time understanding your diagram. What is confusing me is telling the different between a line that represents a wired connection vs wireless.

I think the main problem is your using routers configured as routers when everything except the main router connected to the ISP modem should be set as a Access Point(AP). Having a router connected to a router is like making a copy of a copy; you lose capacity in the process. Best practice would be:

ISP modem > Ethernet(under 50feet) > Router (configured as a router) > ethernet > AP 1(2nd floor) + AP 2(3rd floor). Make sure each AP is one a different wireless channel, but they can use the same SSID and password.

I have two questions. First, what was the reason you changed from switches to routers? Was it for the wireless capability? Second, what model ISP modem do you have, and if it's in-fact a gateway, do you have it bridged?

#10 ·
The reason I switched from switches to router was for WIFI.

However, after reading GentleArrow's reply 8, made perfect sense. ""Router 1 is really busy handling all that traffic.""
The modem is only a modem not a router.

I have ordered a business line which will give me 3 IP addresses.
I can have each IP address on each floor. That will resolve the congestion on one router. As mentioned by GentleArrow's reply.

I will keep everyone posted on the result.

Optimus1357: Not sure what you mean... Each Router is on a different floor.
The router on the second floor is the only one connected to the cable modem.
The other 2 routers are connected to the router on the second floor via LAN(on second floor) and WAN(on floor 1 and floor 3) connection. I created the same SID same password on all 3 routers only thing different was the channels. All 3 are on different channels.

There are 2 wires going from second floor to first floor. 1 is for the router and second is for the VOIP. Same thing 2 wires from second floor to third floor.

I can clarify more if you need me too.

My apology I forgot to draw a line as its wired not wireless between ISP modem and router on second floor.

#13 ·
What confused me is the routers you bought were designed (IMO) to be AP more then routers, so they could have been connected to the existing switches without having to make any change to your network. If you put a switch between the modem and router, be aware that you won't have control of how the bandwidth is used between the routers. If you put more traffic on one of the routers, it might saturate the connection between the modem and ISP, leading to packet latency as they wait to go through the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.