Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Need help with Xfinity internet

This is a discussion on Need help with Xfinity internet within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a wireless network set up in my home using Comcast Xfinity and a DIR 615 Dlink router. I

Old 07-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a wireless network set up in my home using Comcast Xfinity and a DIR 615 Dlink router. I am a using a desktop computer right now that's connected with an ethernet chord to the router and the internet is working fine.
However, once in a while, the internet goes down and it says that the network is now local only and there is no internet connectivity (which i guess means that the router is working fine and the only thing I can do is transfer files around from one computer to another using the router). All i have to do is wait for about a minute and the internet would be back online. I ran a windows diagnosis when the internet was down and it said that this couldn't be solved automatically and that the problem has something to do with the DNS (which i have no idea what that is).
This always pissed me off so today i decided to take out all the wires from the ARRIS modem (which comcast installed for Xfinity) and reconnected them. I waited a little while and decided to test the network. The wired connection is fine but the wireless connection is local only and isnt connected to the internet :(

Can anyone help?!?!

EDIT 1: The two laptops in my house seem to have the internet working for some reason but this desktop's wireless connection isnt connecting to the internet (I have a wired and a wireless connection on this computer)

Old 07-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello and Welcome to TSF!

Try these recommendations:

Disable IPV6

==============
Disable IP Helper Service from Control Panel, then administrative tools, then clicking on services and locate IP Helper, double click on it and choose Disable.

==============
Disable DHCP Broadcast Flag by clicking on the Fix It button.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
Registered Member

I turned off IPV6 but it made no difference :/
i see that in the "connection status", it says that both IPV4 and IPV6 are local only. Is there a way to change that?
Old 07-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Have you tried the other 2 recommendations?

You may also try uninstalling/reinstalling the Wireless Network Adapter from Device Manager by following this guide.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote