Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

NAS and Windows OS

This is a discussion on NAS and Windows OS within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, I have a small network in my office.
Basically it is 6 computers connected to a switch, the switch is connected to the internet and 6 NAS.
( yes I know itís not the best system)
2 of the NAS contain projects files that we all use every day we read and write to the constantly.
The other 4 drives are backups on the 2 main drives that get synced ever night with a program called smart sync.

I have issues with NAS failures. If an NAS fails due to a NON DISK issue then I cannot simply remove the disk and pop it in a windows computer and run it. The standard NAS I have run of some Linux OS so you canít just pop them in the windows computer and expect to read them.

( yes I know I can get a Linux box and recover the info. Not interested it that)

Is there an NAS out there that will allow me to remove the HDD from the NAS and install it in a standard windows computer?
scott449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2015, 08:26 PM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

You want a basic NAS drive and normally they don't come with software and are formatted to Windows file system. In fact I have never seen any with Linux but you could take the files off the drive you want to keep then attach it to a Windows desktop and use" EaseUs Partition Manager" to wipe the drive and then partition it to NTFS for Windows. EaseUS Partition Master - Free Partition Magic alternative, Partition Manager Software for Windows PC and Server

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Rich-M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:52 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

I have "fake" NAS by connecting a laptop SATA drive to the USB port on my router with a SATA->USB adapter. Since the router only support up to 750GB and the drive is 1TB I simply split it in to two partitions, formatted NTFS and slapped it on there. Not the most clean or pretty looking setup but it works great for our needs.

-----------------------------
There are no dumb questions, unless a customer is asking them.

Help in the fight against cancer and other serious illnesses.
ebackhus is offline   Reply With Quote