Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

NAS and Print Server?

This is a discussion on NAS and Print Server? within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there, I'd like to buy a NAS which supports USB interface as well to connect my printer, make it

Old 01-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi there,

I'd like to buy a NAS which supports USB interface as well to connect my printer, make it visible on my network, and allow all users to print files through network on this printer. Basically, NAS will be connected to router by Ethernet cable, and printer will be plugged into NAS.

I have chosen this model:

Buy BUFFALO LS-WX2.0TL R1 | 2.0TB RAID 0/1 MULTIMEDIA NETWORK STORAGE - Multimedia Hard Drives | Comet

Does is supports printers as well? It doesn't says anything about printing in specs on this website.

Thanks in advance,
Jacob

Old 01-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
Management Team Networking

why don't you go to buffalo's web site and look it up? If it doesn't the buffalo web site would be the place to find a model that does support printing.

Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
Registered Member

Well, it doesn't say anything about print server on their official website.. unfortunately.

Which of these two NAS would you recommend?

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Multimedia-Hard-Drives/buy-BUFFALO-LS-WX2.0TL-R1-Multimedia-Hard-Drive/691135?_$ja=tsid:8361|prd:78888&awc=157_1326305323_246323b133b8ee8d92a56f0b91f0976f

or

Buy WESTERN DIGITAL MY BOOK LIVE2TB | PERSONAL CLOUD STORAGE 2TB 3.5" HDD WDBACG0020HCH - Networking Hard Drives | Comet

I would personally go for the first one.

Kind regards,
Jacob
Old 01-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #4

Neither mention printing.

do a google search on buffalo nas with print server for better results
Old 01-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Registered Member

Well, i know. But overall buffalo is better than the 2nd one, is it?
Old 01-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi Jacob,

Here's one that support's USB interface. The site that you went doesnt' give you much info on the technical details.

Quote:
Key Features and Benefits:

Shared Storage: Store or back up files from multiple PCs, laptops or Mac computers in one central location
Free WebAccess and WebAccess i apps for iPod touch, iPhone and iPad: Access and share your photos, music, videos or data files with friends, family and colleagues over the Internet with any standard Web browser or on your iPod touch, iPhone or iPad for free.
DLNA Certified and iTunes Servers: content directly to any DLNA compatible media player or use LinkStation Pro as a content source from within your iTunes application
BitTorrent Client: Download digital content over the Internet directly to your LinkStation Pro
NovaBACKUP Professional: Includes an easy-to-use, complete backup solution for up to 5 of your home and home office Windows PCs
Time Machine Compatibility: Use the LinkStation Pro with Time Machine backup
USB 2.0 Port: Attach a printer to the network, add a USB hard drive for additional storage or backup or connect to a UPS for AC power failure management
ECO-Minded: With the power savings feature, you regulate the power usage of your LinkStation at predetermined times, shutting the unit down and reducing energy consumption
TurboPC with TurboCopy: Enhance the overall performance of your PC and increase file transfer rates up to 35%
No Annual or Monthly Fees: To use any features or services, including WebAccess with iPhone and iPad support, or to add multiple users and groups
Network Servers: FTP and print servers included with the firmware
Direct Copy: Plug in your USB hard drive or camera to quickly offload pictures
Free 24/7 Tech Support: US-based tech support
I have 3 Buffalo NAS and they are very reliable.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
Registered Member

Alright, is that possible to set up remote access to NAS you have provided me ? Let's say I am at college, and I forgot to take something on my USB stick, can I access files remotely by going to I don't know.. IP in browser or smth?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
Tech Hardware Team
Game Team Tech

My System

you don't use windows own remote access feature?
Old 01-12-2012, 12:03 AM   #9
Registered Member

Use of windows remote access is design to access remotely another PC, and can be install ONLY on PC, not network hard drive is it not?
I want to access my network hard drive, and upload or download files from another PC's such as College. How could I do it?

@edit

I've read description on an item once again, and it says:

Network Servers: FTP and print servers included with the firmware

So, once I bought and received NAS, there will be software to configure FTP to access from another network?
Old 01-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #10

I would suggest you go to the buffalo site and lookup the users manual for the unit you want and review it. It will tell you want you want to know.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #11
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Jacob - Definitely check Buffalo site for the manual, just to let you know I have called them for Tech Support before, they will give you assistance if you need help on the configuration or if you have any questions at all. Here's their support page:
Support - Overview | Buffalo Technology

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote