Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

My wireless network says "connected" but my internet isn't working!!

This is a discussion on My wireless network says "connected" but my internet isn't working!! within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Help please! This problem has been repeatedly happening for months!! Sometimes my internet will work again, but then at random

Old 10-17-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

Help please!

This problem has been repeatedly happening for months!! Sometimes my internet will work again, but then at random moments it would disconnect. I don't know anything about computers so please bear with me
So I have two computers. One is a laptop (which I use) and the other is a desktop. I also have a ps3 that connects to our wireless....however with this continuous problem, I can never play online gaming anymore :/

So I want to know why everytime I try to connect to the internet, through my laptop, it says "server not found" but when I look at my wireless network connection it says "connected." However, when I check my DSL modem the DSL light flashes red and then green and then red again when this happens...

Additional information:
I have a linksys router and DSL modem. My laptop runs under Windows XP...oh and whenever I can't connect to the internet...neither can the desktop or PS3. Our internet provider is AT&T (we had one of their technicians come over, but all he did was replace a cable that helped us connect to the internet, but when he left it started bugging again!) I dont know if maybe our setup is wrong??

Old 10-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Registered Member

Oh and I've also tried resetting the router. It would work for a certain amount of time, but the problem would come back again

Old 10-17-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

and welcome to the Forum

Can you connect directly to the modem and see if the problem persists?
Old Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
Registered Member

I tried and it would not connect. The DSL light was flashing red and then green and then red again....back and forth

And thanks for the welcome! (:
Old 10-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
Management Team Networking

Call your isp and have them connect to the modem. If they can't they should send you a new modem

Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote