Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

My Toshiba Satellite won't connect to any internet

This is a discussion on My Toshiba Satellite won't connect to any internet within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. A few weeks ago my AC adapter for my toshiba satellite laptop quit working so i had to buy a

Old 08-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
knl
Registered Member

A few weeks ago my AC adapter for my toshiba satellite laptop quit working so i had to buy a new one. upon arrival of my new adapter, it seemed like i couldn't connect to the wireless internet at my family's house which was working fine for the home computer. I tried to get on the internet in an airplane and I couldn't connect. All of these wireless connections are working fine and no other computer seems to have the same issue. whenever i try to connect to a network in range or my home network, it says that i only have limited connectvity. I have tried posted resetting commands in the comand prompt and then rebooting but it still says I am in limited connectivity. Help?

Old 08-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

This will help and give us an idea to better assist you with your wireless concern.

Please Post the following along with a detail description of your issue:
Who is your ISP?

US Providers - Comcast, Charter, AT&T, Verizon, etc...
UK Providers - BT, talktalk, Virgin Media, etc...

What type of broadband are you using? Dial-up, DSL, Cable, Satellite, Fios, T1

If your laptop has a Wireless Switch on the side, verify that it's 'On'.
You may also try a combination of FN key (FN+F1 or FN+F2 or FN-F8) from your keyboard to activate your wireless connection.

Install and run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector.
Click on the 'Show Networks' to display all wireless networks on the xirrus icon on your desktop of if you have one running in a corner. Tap the Printscreen key on your keyboard, open up Paint then choose Edit from the Menu and select Paste, then SAVE it. Upload and attached it here, click on Go Advanced and locate Manage Attachments Tab and attached the file.

Post an ipconfig /all of the computer in question for review.
Click on Start => in run or search box type cmd press enter (run as Admin for Vista and 7). From the black screen, type the word ipconfig /all and press enter. Right click on the black screen or Command prompt then choose Select All and Paste the results onto your Post.

You may also attach the ipconfig /all output if the computer is unable to connect to the Internet then use an external USB flash drive to transfer the .txt file.
Click on Start => in run or search box type cmd, choose run as Admin and press enter. Open up a command prompt then Copy and Paste these ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt . Please attach the .txt file to be found in your Local Disk 'C' on your next post.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
knl
Registered Member

sorry, my network provider is AT&T. AT&T U-Verse.

these are the results:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name..................................... : Kiki-PC
Primary Dns Suffix. . . . . . . :
Node Type. . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection :

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter

Physical Address . . . . . . . : 00-21-63-D4-5F-B6
DHCP Enabled . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . . . : fe80::3579:2d3c:65ec:b089%11 (Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . . . . : 169.254.176.137 (Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 301998435
DHCPv6 Client DUID . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-10-E2-40-4E-00-1E-33-8C-14-EA

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . .. . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : myhome.westell.com
Description . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8102E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC <NDIS 6.0>
Physical Address . . . . . . : 00-1E-33-8D-48-B8
DHCP Enabled . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . : isatap. {8759A705-0244-4C76-8348-39B7AE2DC4DC}
Physical Address . . . . . . . . :00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . .. : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Media State . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-speciffic DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . : isatap.myhome.westell.com
Physical Address . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . . . : Yes
Old 08-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Are you able to plug the laptop to the router using the cable and access the Internet then download the Wireless driver on Toshiba Support - Homepage ?

After updating the driver and if you are still unable to connect please try to install the WiFi inspector provided in the above link and attach the screenshot.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
knl
Registered Member

It still won't connect so I was unable to get on the website at all and install the Wireless driver after I plugged in the cable. I restored/backed up my computer until before it started not being able to access the Internet and it still is on limited connectivity and won't connect to the Internet fully.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

If it can't connect using a wired connection then it's likely your operating system.

Try safe mode with networking, reboot computer press F8 and select Safe Mode with Networking.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #7
knl
Registered Member

F8 wouldn't give me the Safe Mode Options screen when I tried to reboot it and get into safe mode with networking. is there any other way to do that?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

When you first power on the computer, keep tapping the F8 key once per second. You should eventually get to a black screen where you can choose Safe Mode with Networking. Try the ethernet cable connected directly from the PC to your router and continue with Phou's instructions.

Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:00 AM   #9
Registered Member

This sounds exactly like the problem I was having. I'm no computer wizard but you should give this a try. If you have any anti virus software, you should try uninstalling it. Even if your computer was running fine before with it something could have changed causing it to mess up your connection. That was my problem and I hope this helps.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi knl,

It might help to update your Atheros driver. Here's a link for your driver.

Please give us an update.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote