Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Most programs say I'm not connected to the internet but I am!

This is a discussion on Most programs say I'm not connected to the internet but I am! within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone, OK so I have a printer connected to another computer (Win XP) and it wasn't showing up on

Old 02-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

Exclamation

Hi everyone,

OK so I have a printer connected to another computer (Win XP) and it wasn't showing up on the network so I followed some installation process to install a network driver or something. Now the printer is working fine. BUT... Now that computer is having internet problems. It connects to the internet fine but some programs say it doesn't. Like Microsoft Outlook. A message always shows up saying "Must work offline" or something. And I cant listen to some things on the internet because a message comes up saying you must connect to the internet. But I am!

Any suggestions to fix this problem?

Old 02-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi Tom351,

Do you have the latest SP for the XP computer which is SP3?

Also, verify that your network settings is set to DHCP.
http://www.ehow.com/i/#article_5072525

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

You are having an issue with ports being blocked on that computer. So you must have installed some kind of firewall or something on there that is messing with your ports.

When the browser goes out to the internet it is using port 80 or 81 (over simplifing I know but correct enough for this). Outlook connects on other ports depending the protocal it is using. Imap, POP, SMTP all use different ports. So you have to check for anything that may be blocking ports on your computer.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:34 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myitdepart View Post
You are having an issue with ports being blocked on that computer. So you must have installed some kind of firewall or something on there that is messing with your ports.

When the browser goes out to the internet it is using port 80 or 81 (over simplifing I know but correct enough for this). Outlook connects on other ports depending the protocal it is using. Imap, POP, SMTP all use different ports. So you have to check for anything that may be blocking ports on your computer.
Any idea how to unblock the ports?
Old 02-26-2011, 05:22 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xg View Post
Hi Tom351,

Do you have the latest SP for the XP computer which is SP3?

Also, verify that your network settings is set to DHCP.
http://www.ehow.com/i/#article_5072525
Yes it is SP3 and the network is on DHCP.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
Registered Member

Do you have windows firewall or another firewall on the computer? Also what network thing did you have to do in order to get the printer working?
Old 02-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #7
Registered Member

Yes I have Windows Firewall. Should I turn that off?

I can exactly remember what program it was. It was with Windows XP so it's not a random program. I think it was setting up a network or something. At the end of it, it told me to create a disc or put a flash drive in and install a program on every computer that wanted to use the printer.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:15 AM   #8
Registered Member

bump...
Old 03-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Check if your browser is using any Proxy setting, remove it if you do. Here's how.

If that didn't work, logon as a different User with Admin Permission, you may create one if needed.

Please let us know.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote