Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Modem and Router help please

879 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Skipper89 
#1 ·
I bought a modem that has only one ethernet port, in any normal situation I would just hook up the router to the modem. The problem is I need a wired connection to work from home. I have an Actiontec Ethernet Adapter that I use to connect the modem and my computer. My question is, is there is any way of connecting the router to the ethernet adapter and having it broadcast a signal? I hope this makes sense to someone who can help me out.

#2 ·
Most home routers, wired and wireless, have at least four ethernet ports. If your router does not, I have to suggest you replace it.

#3 ·
I am unclear what you are trying to do. What kind of ethernet adapter is it? Wireless>ethernet? USB>ethernet? Something else? What is it's model number?

Also, are you trying to get multiple devices online at once? Or are you looking to switch back and forth?

Last, you mention a router. Do you already have one or were you asking if you should buy one? If you do have a router, what model? Also, what model is your modem?

#4 ·
my work computer is connected to the router via an Actiontec Ethernet Adapter that plugs into the modem through an ethernet cord. The adapter is connected to the wall, and then I have another Actiontec adapter that plugs into the wall near my work set up and an ethernet cord plugs from the adapter to my computer. The adapter is an Actiontec 500Mbps Powerline Ethernet Adapter and 4-Port Hub Kit. I am trying to have my WiFi available at the same time that I am working, right now I can only have one plugged into the modem via ethernet cord. I have a router bc my modem is not a modem/router combo. The router I have is the Netgear R6400 and my modem is a Lynksys CM3024. I hope this provides some clarity.

#5 ·
Sounds like you have the router in the 'wrong' place. Electrically not physically. Your router should be connected directly to the cable modem. Connect the uplink from the Powerline adapter to one of the LAN ports of the router. You may also connect any other devices to the remaining router LAN ports. Configure your WiFi at the router.

#6 ·
I think what you are asking is if you can use the router for wireless in your office. If so, then yes you can do it, it just might not work very well. I am assuming right now it goes

Linksys modem > (WAN)Netgear router > (LAN) Actiontec Powerline > Electrical socket > Actiontec 4 port hub > ethernet > Office computer.

Instead, you want to set it up as

Linksys modem > Actiontec Powerline > Electrical socket > Actiontec Powerline 4port > ethernet > (WAN)Netgear router > ethernet > office computer

However, I predict two problems. First is that is the Actiontec Powerline, and almost all Powerline products, have an "energy saving mode" which will disconnect the connection if it doesn't detect any activity on the powerline connection.

"...the 4 Port Powerline Home Network Adapter saves up to 60% energy for the user by switching to energy saving mode when no traffic is being moved."

Computer these days are almost always have some kind of traffic open, so it's not a deal breaker, but it may cause problems. If you find you have to reboot the powerline adapter to get internet to the netgear router, then I would suggest looking into a way to disabling the power saving feature.

The second issue is you CAN'T use any other ports on the Actiontec 4port hub except the one going from it to the Netgear router. That is because the powerline is getting a IP from the modem now, and not the router, and the modem can only assign 1 IP(unless your ISP is special) and that needs to go to the router. I would suggest replacing the 4 port powerline adapter with a single port powerline adapter to avoid conflict. Having the router in the office will give you access to the other 3 LAN ethernet ports, so the 4 ports on the hub also become redundant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.