Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Microsoft Wireless Network

This is a discussion on Microsoft Wireless Network within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi! I'm running XP Service Pack 3. I installed a wireless card---it installed flawlessly---device manger says it's working properly. Next

Old 03-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi! I'm running XP Service Pack 3. I installed a wireless card---it installed flawlessly---device manger says it's working properly. Next I tried to setup a wireless network. I got an error message at the end---see microsoft knowledge base 871122. I go to the web page, and it has a fix to install. I download it and install it I run the wifi wizard again. It says:
The wizard completed successfully
Your wireless network is now ready to use. You have successfully set up the following devices:
Microsoft XP (this computer)
I immediately get a pop-up balloon saying wireless netwprk connection 2 not connected. Next to this network icon in the system tray I have a black X over an icon (can't see what it is under the big X). Putting the cursor over it, it says ieee802.11 wlan not exist. What have I done wrong? Why isn't it working? I've run the wizard using the default settings, and also manual---naming the network, choosing my own password, etc. I know the router works since I have a laptop that automatically connects to it. I do have the computer plugged in with an ethernet connection, but I don't see how this would make a difference, as setting up a wireless network should just give me the choice which network connection I want to use. Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:53 AM   #2
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

When you try and connect to your router SSID what error message do you get appear onscreen?

Can you please follow the instructions in this sticky

Old 03-18-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the response.I've downloaded and run Xirrus. It doesn't show anything. It does show the adapter as:
Connection Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
I attached 2 screen shots. The first one is the Xirrus window showing nothing: the other is a shot of the connection test.
As I said, I dual boot with Ubuntu, and there's no problem with the connection in Ubuntu. Actually, I just checked and hadn't mentioned this. Sorry. I installed the adapter driver with found new hardware wizard in xp, and it selected the driver. In device manager, it says it's working properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Xirrus.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	123325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Connect.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	123326  
Old 03-18-2013, 06:07 AM   #4
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

Download the latest driver for your wireless adapter card from the computer manufacturer's website if a branded computer or if a custom build or self built computer then use the motherboard manufacterer's website or vendor website to download the driver.

You can download it using ubuntu and copy to a USB stick and then boot into windows xp and install the driver off the usb stick.

I will close your other thread as it seems to be the same issue see below:
Which Driver

Multiple threads on the same issue are not allowed as per forum rules
Old 03-18-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
Management Team Networking

Please complete the sticky requests for information by posting the results of a ipconfig /all for review.

Strange connection results. No dns or gateway you should not be able to resolve google unless you are using a hosts file.
Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses. Sorry about the double post. I simply forgot to return to the previous post to say I solved it---at least I thought I had. I have the card working in ubuntu. Here is the ipconfig results. I see it says the media is disconnected, but in device manger it says it's working properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IPconfig.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	123328  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
Moderator - Networking

My System

I would download the latest drivers for your wireleass adapter as i have previously stated in my last post.

Edit: Check the Wi-Fi card is switched on, using key bttton combo FN+F3 or FN+F8 for your model of laptop if a HP sometimes a little LED with a Wi-Fi type antenna looking icon is used to turn the Wi-fi on.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses. The drivers I've found are the same I installed. I"m getting rid of the card and trying another. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
Moderator - Networking

My System

Thanks for the update let us know how it goes when you have relaced the adapter.