Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Lost username and password for home network

This is a discussion on Lost username and password for home network within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. PC is XP ProSP3 and Laptop is Vista Home Premium SP1 My laptop can access my desktop with no problem.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

PC is XP ProSP3 and Laptop is Vista Home Premium SP1
My laptop can access my desktop with no problem. When trying to access my laptop from my desktop, a 'username/password' box pops up. I saved it in Roboform but it is "blocked" and Robo won't fill it because it is not a browser. Contacted Roboform and that was useless. Nothing works, not any combo I've tried. Actually it sometimes gives an example of my email address. None of it makes any sense and I need help. Please. Thank you. judi

Old 03-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
Registered Member

On the laptop, go into the Control Panel, then Networking and Sharing. On the bottom it should say Password Protect Sharing. Check and see if it is turned on or off. If its on, turn it off as long as your on a secure network and you trust anyone that uses the desktop, because they will be able to access the laptop from the desktop as well.

Not sure if that will fix it, but it did for me.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
Registered Member

hi, thanks for the help. (I live alone so no one has access but me).
I turned it off like you suggested. Does that mean that when my neighbors pick up my network it will say "unsecured", or is that strictly about the password on the router? (sorry if I sound clueless).
Anyway, Now I get a Message that says:
"//....Laptop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
The network path was not found."

I have already right clicked on everything that I want to share on my laptop to give permission. Perhaps I did that wrong? Geez, why do they have to make Vista so darn complicated. Sometimes I think I just might reformat and put XP Pro on it!

So, any ideas now? thanks again, judi
Old 03-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Create a new user account on the laptop that matches the name/password used to login to the desktop, the user prompt will be gone. Also, note that the default for Vista is to now allow file/print sharing if no user account has a password.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
Registered Member

Your neighbors will still need a password if they want to use your internet. The password protection for file sharing is completely different than for the router. If you disable the Password on the router they will get the "unsecured" message allowing them to use it.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
Registered Member

It thinks that this is a server and says I cannot access the server... and I can't share multiple users on the server... (and it still keeps asking for an email address as a user name - but both my computers have the same username and password.)
well, here is a possibility, apparently there is a lot on google about the same exact problem but no solutions. a new icon has suddenly appeared in the network & sharing window - "Microsoft publication services device host" nobody seems to know how it got there or what it is, but no one can access their Vista computer from their XP computer, just like me! actually, this was happening before that strange icon appeared, but now it is worse because I am getting those server messages. this is not a domain/server, just a plain old home network. thanks again, judi