Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost my network

934 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  johnwill 
#1 ·
I bought a Cisco Linksys WRT160N router 1/09 in order to set up a family network that consists of two PC's, two laptops and a PS3. It worked fairly well until this morning when my son told me he could no longer log onto our network with his laptop. Sure enough, I checked my downstairs PC and my secure network is no longer listed as an option. We discovered we can still log onto the internet using the unsecured lynksys network, but this is not a good option obviously. Can anyone give me some tips on how to regain my network? I have pulled the power and the ethernet plugs from the router in order to reset it. I have pushed and held the reset button for over 30 seconds and I have managed to log on to the http site of my my router, but I can't seem to change any of the settings to regain my original secure network. Any ideas? I truly appreciate any help.

#4 ·
You need no installation program to install and configure a router. I never let their CD anywhere near my computer or anyone else's that I install. :smile:

Here's my total router reset routine, let's try that.

The following procedure should get you a connection with any broadband modem that is configured to use DHCP for the router connection, such as cable modems, and many DSL modems. If you require PPPoE configuration for the DSL modem, that will have to be configured to match the ISP requirements.

Note that the wireless encryption and channel selection will have to be done after the basic wired connection is established, the first step is to get wired connections working.

• Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on.
  • Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
  • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
  • Disconnect any USB connection to the modem, it will not be used.
  • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
  • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
  • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
  • Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

NOTE: For the items below in red surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous command output!

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.