Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

local only

SOLVED 
1K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  deweylovem 
#1 ·
HP G50 laptop, Vista os. I have a new ATT U-Verse modem service and I connected fine the first day. The next day I can't get to the internet but I can get to the modem. It says {unidentified network local only}. I can connect to the internet with a neighbor's network. I have un-installed the network adapter and re-intalled it.I can see the laptop address 192.168.1.75 when I look at the modem status with another pc. What can I do to fix this?

#2 ·
can we see an ipconfig /all
there is an issue with Ar5007 adapters and vista - we have an article - and just need the driver

------------------------------------------------------------------------

ipconfig /all

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply
Note: you will see entries named Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: we dont need to see that information - JUST the information above those entries

For Windows 8 or Windows 10
To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop.
How to open an Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 8
Use Windows + X Keys together and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.​
Or Right click on the windows icon - bottom left hand side - A menu appears - choose Command Prompt (Admin)[/indent]

For windows version, XP, Vista, W7
Hold the Windows key and press R
Now type CMD
Now press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):​

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will now be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.

#4 ·
you need to update the driver
HP should have the driver - whats the exact model of the g50 - is there more info

otherwise
Atheros Wireless Adapter - AR5007EG & AR5007 on Windows Vista

Over the last couple of years we have been seeing a lot of problems with the AR5007(EG) wireless adapters, mainly concerning WPA and WPA2 encryption and mainly on windows Vista.

The wireless adapter gets an IP configuration, and shows as connected, but communication is non-existent or sporadic.

The majority of fixes are via installing a new driver from either the Manufacturers website see item (1) and if that does not resolve the issue then from the atheros web site - see item (2)

--- 1) Download and install the latest wireless driver from your laptop manufacturer's web site support section,

If you post a reply here with the Make and EXACT model of your PC. If the label includes a Service Tag number please post as well. Also what windows version are you running.
we will see if we can find a link to the driver and will post a reply with the link here.

--- 2) The majority of members, have now used the drivers from the atheros driver site, which has resolved the issue.
- see below for direct links for windows vista and the link for all Atheros adapters and supported operating systems

AR5007
Vista 32 / 64 Bit
https://www.atheros-drivers.com/atheros-wireless-drivers-for-XP-Vista-and-Windows7.html
Direct link Drivers for Atheros AR5007 and Windows Vista 32 / 64 bit
You only need to click on the green download button labelled " Download Driver" and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

AR5007EG
Vista 32 / 64 Bit
https://www.atheros-drivers.com/atheros-wireless-drivers-for-XP-Vista-and-Windows7.html
Direct link Drivers for Atheros AR5007EG and Windows Vista 32 / 64 bit
You only need to click on the green download button labelled " Download Driver " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

Drivers for the other windows operating system

For windows 7, 8, and 10
https://www.atheros-drivers.com/atheros-wireless-drivers.html

For Windows XP, Vista and 7

You need to look down the page for your particular adapter model and then look across the columns to find your windows version.
Now click on the Down Arrow in the column under your windows version.
This will open another page for that particular adapter and that windows version.

Now click on the download button labelled " Download Driver " and wait (it appears to take a while before anything happens), the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

To install the driver you will need to do the following

Extract the downloaded zip file into a folder on the PC
then

> Start Globe
> Control Panel
> System and maintenance
> Scroll down to Device manager
> network adapters, click on the + >
> Right click on the AR5007(EG) Adapter
> click on Update Driver Software...
> click on Browse my computer for driver software
> let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
> Have Disk
> click on the Button Browse...
> Locate the folder you extracted the zip folder and highlight the .inf file
you should see two files with .inf

Vista 32Bit AR5007 netathv.inf
Vista 64Bit AR5007 netathvx.inf

Vista 32Bit AR5007EG netathr.inf
Vista 64Bit AR5007EG netathrx.inf

For XP;
Manually Install a Graphics Driver in Windows XP*

>Click Start
>right-click My Computer
>click Properties.
The System Properties window opens.
>Click the Hardware tab,
>then click Device Manager button.
The Device Manager window opens.
>Double-click network adapters.
>Right-click on the AR5007(EG) Adapter
>click Update Driver
The Hardware Update Wizard opens and asks to connect to Windows Update:
> select No, not this time. Click Next
>Select the following option: Install from a list or specific location (Advanced), and then click Next.
>Select the Don’t search, I will choose the driver to install option, and then Next
>Click the Have Disk button, and then click the Browse button
Browse to the directory where you unzipped the file you downloaded
Locate and highlight the .inf file
AR5007 and AR5007EG XP-32bit = netathwx.inf
>Click the OK button.
>Click the Finish button when done.

#8 ·
it does seem to happen that certain router do not work
There is no EXE file the post does till you how to install the .inf files

did you do this?
Only for the AR5007 and i suspect its 32bit as well

Extract the downloaded zip file into a folder on the PC
then

> Start Globe
> Control Panel
> System and maintenance
> Scroll down to Device manager
> network adapters, click on the + >
> Right click on the AR5007(EG) Adapter
> click on Update Driver Software...
> click on Browse my computer for driver software
> let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
> Have Disk
> click on the Button Browse...
> Locate the folder you extracted the zip folder and highlight the .inf file
you should see two files with .inf

Vista 32Bit AR5007 netathv.inf

#15 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.