Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

laptop not recognizing home network after leaving home

This is a discussion on laptop not recognizing home network after leaving home within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

hi all
Feel free to see my prior help threads relating to my network, in case that would help

airstation set up
asus as bridge

The problem that I am having is that my wireless connection on my hp laptop is not recognizing my home network when I come home. At work, I connect using the wireless connection but I have it bridged so that I can connect my xbox while at work (lucky man I know). In the past, I did not have problems connecting to my asus to connect wirelessly. Even when I am gone just 12 hours, I have this problem.

What happens is that I boot up the computer as usual and it attempts to connect to the network. I get a no internet access although I am connected. When I run the wireless troubleshooter it says that I do not have an IP address and recommends I reset the router. This does fix the problem. Unfortunately, this is not always the best solution since we are now running a windows media center set up for TV so if I reset the router we lose TV. An easier solution is to use my old wireless USB adapter. I would prefer, though, to not have to use it. It appears that the wifi is not recognizing my home network as it says it is unrecognized despite being connected the day before. Even if I change it to home network, the problem is not fixed.

Current set up:

FIOS -> actiontec router mi424wr --- asus rt-ac66r

asus --- desktop wired (acts as htpc with cablecard to infinitv4 tuner)
- ceton echo wired
- xbox 360 #1 wired
- xbox 360 #2 wired

--- various wireless connections are connecting fine (chrome book, laptop, wdlive, ps3) including using the wireless adapter on this laptop

Who is your Internet Service Provider (ISP)?
verizon fios

What type of Broadband connection are you using?
fios

What is the exact Make and Model of your Modem, Router or Modem/Router
actiontec m1424wr
asus rt-ac66r
netgear wndr3300
AirStation™ N150 Wireless Router

What is the Name of the Anti-Virus, Security or Firewall Software installed from the problematic computer -
comodo antivirus and firewall
microsoft security essentials
other scanning software

wifi inspector

with hp wifi - working connection of course! Just started working after I took out the USB adapter
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

usb adapter
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

thank you for reading, I will gladly give any other information. I will post a wifi inspector when it stops working, it may be when I get back from work Friday morning.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello,

Try using this cool utility called NetSetMan and you may setup multiple network connections (LAN and WLAN).

Please let us know if this helps.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Registered Member

I tried working with that program but cannot seem to get it to accurately save the current profile.

I was going to post with the problem again but putting in the usb adapte and then removing it and reactivating the hp adapter seemed to work.

maybe that is the solution? as crazy as it is
Old 06-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Assign Static IP in your home network and call it Home in NetSetMan.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote