Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Laptop cannot connect to public wifi hotspot

This is a discussion on Laptop cannot connect to public wifi hotspot within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, Before I begin, I must say I am not entirely computer savvy, but that is what I use Google

Old 08-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

Before I begin, I must say I am not entirely computer savvy, but that is what I use Google for!

Anyway, I have a Toshiba Satellite L645D-S4056 with Win7 Home Premium 64-bit. I've had it almost a year now and have never had trouble connecting to public wifi. Recently, I moved into a new apartment with free wifi and I seem to catch the signal from my apt even though it is poor. Every time I try to connect with my Toshiba it says, "Windows is unable to connect to 'linksys'." However, my husband's HP laptop and my old eMachines laptop (7yr old) (which I am using to research the problem) can connect with absolutely no issues. When I go to the clubhouse, my Toshiba can connect, however it cannot identify the network and does not receive an actual internet connection.

So far, I have uninstalled/reinstalled and updated my network adapter (Realtek RTL8188CE), I've used Command Prompt ipconfig /reset and ipconfig /release along with several other commands suggested to other wifi connection problems.
I've checked my DHCP and DNS to ensure they're enabled.
As for firewalls, I have turned off windows firewall and have disabled Kaspersky protection, however I have yet to uninstall and reinstall, this being because I can connect to a password prompted internet connection at work.
I am unsure how to check my IP address or any of that. So if necessary to know, please tell me how to do it. ^_^

Any help would be greatly welcomed! Any other information needed about the computer, just ask!

Old 08-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
Registered Member

I should also mention I'm using IE8 with the latest updates. I've disabled the protection mode in Internet Options>>Security also.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
Registered Member

Sorry, I realized one more thing I forgot to mention, when I Command Prompt for ipconfig /release and /renew it replies with "No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has its media disconnected." Could this be the problem? If so, how can I fix it?