Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Lan Settings

This is a discussion on Lan Settings within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. For sometime now, I have been unable to reset any of the LAN settings (tools/internet options/connections/lan settings/automatically detect settings). I

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 07:02 AM   #1
I helped the forums.

For sometime now, I have been unable to reset any of the LAN settings (tools/internet options/connections/lan settings/automatically detect settings). I am the only user and I do have admistrator priviledges. I run GhostSurf (Premium addition), SpyBot and AVG free edition. I don't see anything in any of those that prevents me from making changes. I have also gone thru the "Advanced" tab on IE6 and see nothing that should be preventing me from making changes. I have not checked "services", since I wouldn't know where to beging.

I'm having trouble using a LinkSys router (BEFW11s4 v1) but think this might be part of it. I'll address that problem after I get the LAN settings figured out.

thanks for any help,

I have appreciated your help in the past and have contributed to the site (a fantastic resource)

rich

Old 08-21-2005, 08:44 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Uncheck all of the stuff under LAN Settings, you shouldn't need the automatically detect settings.

You might start with the exact symptoms, are you connecting at all to the Internet? Do you have any other errors or indications? What version of windows and what patch level do you use? Do other computers connect properly?

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Old 08-21-2005, 12:03 PM   #3
I helped the forums.

John,

I can't change (Check, Uncheck, Add, Delete) ANYTHING under the LAN settings. That's what I'm trying to fix!

Right now both boxes are checked under "Proxy Settings" If I were to change them i.e., uncheck one or both and click OK, OK; when I go back nothing has changed. It is probably important to point out the "Apply" option is not active after changing something.

The Internet is working just fine, as is mail. Whether or not I need anything checked or not is secondary. I should be able to make changes and can't.

thanks for responding.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

rich
Old 08-21-2005, 04:59 PM   #4
Microsoft MVP

My System

That is strange, it sure sounds like a permissions issue. What was installed/changed right before this started happening?

Old 08-21-2005, 05:22 PM   #5
I helped the forums.

It's hard to say because I recently had a hard disk melt down. I went to another computer. I had a lot of backup stuff on a second harddrive and was able to get things back to where they were. However, that problem existed prior to the meltdown. It's possible it happened around the time I installed my paid-for version of GhostSurf. Although I can't think of anything there that would affect it. I use SpyBot, AVGFreeEdition; those three progs were recommended by you guys. I also have VCom's System Suite but with the firewall (I use AVG's) and Virus tool (I use AVG's) disabled. I've been through all of those programs and can't find a thing. Is it possible a "service" is disabled??

rich
Old 08-21-2005, 06:33 PM   #6
I helped the forums.

I always wanted to say that!

John,
Mea culpa. After my last post I went back to review everything and sure enough the SystemSuite Firewall was ON. After disabling it completely, I was able to control the LAN settings. Now I'll go back and see which control actually affected the permissions. Oh well, maybe my experience will benefit someone else.

Thanks again for your speedy and wise responses.

rich
Old 08-22-2005, 04:29 PM   #7
Microsoft MVP

My System

Most complicated problems have simple solutions.

Closed Thread
Gear in this thread