Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Keep losing domain connection

This is a discussion on Keep losing domain connection within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have 179 Windows PCs at my school running on Windows XP Professional over a 100MB copper network through unmanaged

Old 04-21-2008, 07:03 AM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

I have 179 Windows PCs at my school running on Windows XP Professional over a 100MB copper network through unmanaged (layer 2) switches. All machines are assigned static IP addresses. Every so often, and somewhat randomly, one of these machines will be unable to see the domain. My solution has been to un-join them from the domain and then join them back again. The involves two restarts, and is generally effective. However, it gets to be a real pain the you-know-what, and I am curious to know what is the root cause of this condition.

Could this be an issue with NetBIOS?

Can anyone help me with some ideas or experiences?

Old 04-30-2008, 03:49 AM   #2
Registered Member

Sorry, I can't offer any help but I do have a similar problem.

In my office we seem to get periods where a few laptops will lose their domain connection, resulting in all of the GPO installed applications uninstalling. The computer account is active on the domain and there is nothing consistently reported in the event log (server or client). This can happen to laptops in head office or remote sites so I don't think it's a network latency problem.

Remove/add to the domain fixes it but the remote users have to return to head office because of the bandwidth required to reinstall the apps.

Any ideas why this may be happening and how to prevent it in future?

Old 04-30-2008, 06:31 AM   #3
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

I'm curious why you don't use DHCP in that network? Managing several hundred computers using static IP addresses has to be a PITA, no?

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:15 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply - yes, I fix the issue in a similar way. As to why I do not use DHCP: I work in a school, where kids are always trying this new hack or that. With static addressing, I can see the problem very quickly by IP address, then I know exactly where to go (what machine) and nab 'em, and it also means I do not need Radius or NetBIOS.

Still looking for this elusive answer,though...