Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

IP Addresses Bound to Switch Ports

This is a discussion on IP Addresses Bound to Switch Ports within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My university provides one Ethernet port per student in dorm rooms. They assign IP addresses based on which port you

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

My university provides one Ethernet port per student in dorm rooms. They assign IP addresses based on which port you connect to and forbid multiple computers connected to the one port using a hub or switch.

DHCP leases are 24 hours long, but you can switch out 10 different devices with different MAC addresses and keep getting the same IP. How does this work? Do they just figure that if you're using a hub connecting multiple stations to the one port that they don't care if there's a conflict?

Old 03-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
Registered Member

How does this work from a technical standpoint? Does the switch act as a DHCP server?

Old 03-26-2012, 01:35 AM   #3
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

OS: Windows XP - Windows 7 - Windows Server 2003 / 2008 - Windows SBS 2003 / 2008 / 2011

Hello,

The switch will be configured to only allow one IP address to send through it (IP ACL - Access Control List). We cannot help you to bypass this.

If more IP addresses are required, please contact your University's IT department.

Dave

Old 03-26-2012, 03:07 AM   #4
Registered Member

OS: Vista,XP, Windows 7, Server 2003, Server 2008 R2 and Linux.

Since we cannot assist further in this case. I am closing this thread.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blocked ports?
Hello. I've got a computer with Win XP Pro SP3 on it. It was previously at a company that had T1 internet access, so the IP was entered manually. Now it's on a cable modem so it gets the IP automatically. The internet is only accessible through IE. Mozilla gets blocked as does Chrome. In...
ncralex Windows XP Support 8 03-26-2012 12:27 PM
Is it possible to revive my hard drive?
I have a Seagate 500gb external hard drive. A few months ago it stopped working. (It was recognized my any computer when plugged in.) I know that its a problem with the hard drive because I have taken apart the case and I have used the converter on the inside for other hard drives and they worked...
richztech Hard Drive Support 8 03-26-2012 05:22 AM
Excel Macro needed to print pages of a sheet depending on value of cells
Hi Can anyone help me regarding a Macro needed for Excel. I have a sheet "Sheet1" within a work book that users enter data. It has been formatted to 40 pages long with totals on each page. I only want to print each page if there is an amount on each page for e.g If cell S27 > 0.00...
antonywalsh Microsoft Office support 0 03-25-2012 02:40 PM
Mirror 2 disks do they need to be the same capacity?
I have a winserver 2003 i want to make a mirror of the system drive with adding another hdd. But the question is the primary system disk is 300gb and the new one i bought has 250 does that work if the 2nd disk to mirror is smaller?
dalwnt Windows Servers 2 03-25-2012 02:28 PM
Event-Id 41, kernel power, related to sleep transition
i sometimes have an event 41, kernel power, problem. so far it happened 3 times, once today, and twice 20 days ago. i wanted to get this problem fixed before, but the technician wanted $90.... anyways, i opened the event viewer and it gives a message with the error "The last sleep transition was...
maria02 Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support 0 03-25-2012 12:38 PM