Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Internet speed not as fast as it should be

This is a discussion on Internet speed not as fast as it should be within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Around 4-5 months ago I moved house within the same town and I've stayed with the same ISP (British Telecom.)

Old 04-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

Around 4-5 months ago I moved house within the same town and I've stayed with the same ISP (British Telecom.)

However, I used to experience downloads which exceeded 200kb/s at my old house (which still to many may not seem that fast) and now the download speed struggles to get near 100kb/s and instead seems stable around the 85kb/s which isn't really cutting the mark for me.

I am using Wireless internet with a BT VOYAGER 2110 hub.

These are the results of some recent speed tests I have taken:

Please may someone help me? I will be grateful for any suggestions which could help improve my situation.

Jake.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
Management Team Networking

You would want to conduct the exact same test but wired to compare the results.

Question is it the ISP or your wireless that is the source of the slowness?

Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
Registered Member

Forgive me for not knowing much but what type of wire would I need to purchase to carry out the other test and how would I ascertain what the source of the slowness is?
Old 04-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
Registered Member

Any Ethernet cable can be used to connect to the wireless modem/router. They can be CAT5, or CAT6. CAT5s are cheaper, so get one of those. To test your internet speed you can go to Speakeasy - Speed Test and test your speed.
Internet speed varies in different households, it depends on many factors.
- Quality of the phone line, older houses have generally older cabling.
- Distance between your house and the CO. This the phone company hub.
- Problems at your provider (this usually is corrected in few hours by the company)
Wifi problems are more likely to occur, do what as wand3r3r suggested.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
Management Team Networking

You can go to any local computer store or even retail outlets like Home Depot, Staples etc carry patch cables.

You would go to the SAME site speedtest.net and do your speed tests.
You would post those results like you did for the wireless test.

We would then compare the two.
Wireless is always slower than wired. What we would be looking at between the two tests would be as follows;

wired throughput compared to what up/down you are paying for - if hugely different its time to talk to the ISP.
wired vs wireless - if hugely different this would indicate an issue with your wireless connection.
Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
Sr. Tech, TSF Team Emeritus Microsoft Support Staff

My System

One other thing you may want to look into is that often different speeds are available even within the same community. It may be where you are now the fastest available is slower than what you had. What is your guaranteed download speed?