Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Internet keeps dropping every few seconds

SOLVED 
3K views 30 replies 2 participants last post by  Jo-El 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I am having a problem with Internet connectivity. My home system consists of a router that supplies my PC (ethernet connection) and wireless to other devices. The wireless connections seem to be ok but the PC ethernet connection keeps dropping every 15 seconds or so.

My ISP (cable Internet provider) has visited three times and been unable to find the problem. Last time they came they said the log showed "general failure", which they did not to believe was caused by the cable connection or modem.

This problem arose after I recently had the computer hard drive and motherboard replaced. I am running Windows 7. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
was this a ping test they were doing

if you see on the results a
"general Failure"
PING: transmit failed. General failure.
This sometimes means a firewall issue
What firewall / security suite or anti-virus do you currently have on the PC - or you have ever had on the PC in the past - any trial ware - like Norton, kaspersky or Mcafee or any free security suites like zonealarm, AVG , Webroot etc

#3 ·
I'm not sure if it was a ping test. They brought up what looked like a command prompt window for Google which streamed continuous messages. Within that window it would say after awhile "general failure" about three times in a row, stream more data and then "general failure" again.

Currently I am using Avast and was also using a free antivirus before (can't remember which one).

#4 ·
That would be a PING test

I would uninstall avast and if you can remember the other free antivirus - in case you need to use a removal tool
often thats needed to remove completely

Uninstall Avast Utility
Sometimes it´s not possible to uninstall avast! the standard way - using the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS in control panel. In this case, you can use the uninstallation utility avastclear.

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
http://www.avast.com/en-us/uninstall-utility

#8 ·
------------------------------------------------------------------------

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10

For Windows Vista through to Windows 10
Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box
(A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on the screen )​

For Windows 8 & 10
To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop. Use Windows + X Keys together and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.
Or Right click on the windows icon - bottom left hand side - A menuu appears - choose Command Prompt (Admin)

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold and red for the following commands.

• Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog and press enter
  • Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log and press enter
  • Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log and press enter
ReStart (reboot) the machine.

If you receive the message
The requested operation requires elevation.
Then please open the command prompt as administrator - as requested above
Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box
(A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen )​
Please note and post back - if you receive the following message :-
Access is Denied
This error will occur with windows 8 and windows 10 , so ignore.

please post back the results in a reply here - its important we know that these commands have worked correctly and not produced any errors
right click in the command prompt box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Details also here
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
also the link has a Microsoft Fix it , which will do the above for you

#9 ·
Good morning. Here are the results.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>netsh winsock reset catalog

Sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog.
You must restart the computer in order to complete the reset.

C:\Windows\system32>netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
Reseting Interface, OK!
Restart the computer to complete this action.

C:\Windows\system32>netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
There's no user specified settings to be reset.

C:\Windows\system32>

#12 ·
Uninstall and allow windows to re-install the adapter and Driver
goto the device manager > Network Adapters > click on the [+] to show all the adapters

right click on the adapter and from the menu

remove/uninstall the Ethernet adapter

Now restart the pc and allow windows to detect new hardware and re install the adapter and the driver

#15 ·
It's a built at home system.

AMD Athlon 5150 APU with Radeon R3 1.60 GHz

The motherboard is a BIOSTAR AM1ML

3.00 GB of RAM

I replaced the ethernet cable and switched the port on the router. No change. Since the Command Prompts it is dropping much less than before but it is still dropping.

#21 ·
So I tried post #12 again and no change.

I also ran a ping test on my laptop (which is connected by wireless) and i noticed that even though I don't get the General Failure message that i get with my wired PC, the ping rate will plummet some times. I'd say the average is about 19ms, it drops to 2000ms. Not sure if this is relevant.

My router is an Arris TG862.

#22 ·
Safemode with networking
with a cable connected from PC to router
check the cable - see if there is a light on the router associated with the cable port used , also check if you have a green/yellow light on the PC LAN port (some PCs do not have any lights on the LAN port - so ignore)
- try safemode with networking

For other windows version, XP,Vista, W7 as the PC starts keep tapping F8 - a menu appears - choose
safemode with networking - see if that works

For windows 8/8.1

5 Ways To Boot Into Safe Mode In Windows 8.1
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode
How To Start Windows 8 or 8.1 in Safe Mode [10 Minutes]

For Windows 10
4 Ways To Boot Into Safe Mode In Windows 10
Safe Mode - Start Windows 10 in - Windows 10 Forums

#23 ·
Safemode with networking
with a cable connected from PC to router
check the cable - see if there is a light on the router associated with the cable port used , also check if you have a green/yellow light on the PC LAN port (some PCs do not have any lights on the LAN port - so ignore)
- try safemode with networking

For other windows version, XP,Vista, W7 as the PC starts keep tapping F8 - a menu appears - choose
safemode with networking - see if that works

For windows 8/8.1

5 Ways To Boot Into Safe Mode In Windows 8.1
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode
How To Start Windows 8 or 8.1 in Safe Mode [10 Minutes]

For Windows 10
4 Ways To Boot Into Safe Mode In Windows 10
Safe Mode - Start Windows 10 in - Windows 10 Forums

#24 ·
In safemode with networking there are two lights on the router side of the cable. One is a darker orange and the other is light orange. The darker orange was more consistent. It stayed mostly solid but would cut off occasionally. The light orange was more erratic. It was sometimes solid, sometimes blinked and sometimes went off.

On the PC side of the cable there are two lights as well - light orange and green. The light orange was mostly solid and cut off occasionally. The green was erratic.

In safemode with networking the Internet continued dropping as it has been. When it drops the network icon in the tray has a red X on it and it says "not connected - no connections are available".

#26 ·
So I plugged in the ethernet cable to my laptop and disconnected from the wireless network. I ran the ping test. It is working fine, no drops or general failures. I think it has to be something with the PC. I will keep looking.

Should I reinstall my antivirus programme now. I'm a bit nervous not having one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.