Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Internet Keeps Cutting Out

This is a discussion on Internet Keeps Cutting Out within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. I recently (yesterday) switched my ISP from Charter cable to ATT high speed internet without a phoneline. When I

Old 04-20-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi.

I recently (yesterday) switched my ISP from Charter cable to ATT high speed internet without a phoneline. When I was using Charter, my internet would randomly cut out for minutes at a time. I would connect directly to the modem and the same problem occured, on multiple computers. Since my switch to ATT, the problem still occurs. My connection will cut out randomly for about 30 seconds and come back. I am using a 2WIRE 2701HG modem/router. The problem effects every computer connected to my network. I tried rebooting the modem/router and checking all cables, but the problem still occurs.

Thank you for your help.

Ryan

Old 04-20-2009, 01:59 AM   #2
Registered Member

Hi,

Am I right in saying that the only thing that has remained in use throughout all the tests is the modem? Or are you using the same physical cable line as before?

When the connection cuts out, what are the symptons that tell you that it has cut out?

mantis484

Old 04-20-2009, 05:30 AM   #3
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

What do you mean "without a phoneline"? You apparently have DSL service.

Charter is a cable service and AT&T is DSL, so you're on completely different connection media. It's hard to imagine this is the ISP.

Are these wireless connections or wired connections?

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
Registered Member

I am using a different modem with ATT than i did with Charter.

Yes, my previous ISP was Charter cable. I switched to "ATT high speed DSL without a phoneline" which means I dont have a landline associated with it. There is still a cord that runs into a phone jack.

When the internet disconnects, the DSL and Internet lights on my 2WIRE modem/router blink red for a second, then the DSL light turns solid green, but the Internet light turns off. About 30 seconds later, the Internet light turns back solid green. During these 30 seconds, I am unable to connect to any webpage.

Thanks.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #5

OS: Windows 95/98se/2000 Pro/XP Home, Pro, or MCE/2003 and 2008 Server Enterprise/7, Debian, Ubuntu

My System

Here are some questions and if you could answer them we could help you better:
What company does your phone?
What type of phone service is it? Analog (no boxes needed), Cable, or Fiber?
If cable or fiber did you connect it to a wall outlet not covered by cable or fiber service.
Did you put filters on all wall outlets other than the outlet for the DSL gateway?
Old 04-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
Registered Member

I do not have phone service. I have "ATT High Speed Internet without a phoneline." When installing the modem/router I was instructed to not install wall filters.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:15 AM   #7
Microsoft MVP

My System

That is correct if you don't also have phone service. Since you have no phones to conflict with the modem, no filters are required.

This clearly sounds like a flaw from the modem back. I think it's time to beat on AT&T a bit about this one.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #8

OS: Windows 95/98se/2000 Pro/XP Home, Pro, or MCE/2003 and 2008 Server Enterprise/7, Debian, Ubuntu

My System

Did the previous owner of the house have DSL?
If yes then filters may have been installed in the walls that possibly is flawed. AT&T needs to be called to have one of their techs take a peek in your basement and remove the filter. Otherwise it could be bad wiring. AT&T should get a call to have them either help you on the phone or check the house with a tech. By the looks of it you are in a bit of a jam.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
Registered Member

Thanks for your help.

I gave ATT a call, and of course, a few hours later received a call saying that the line looked fine. My internet then proceeded to cut out again every couple minutes.

I have a technician coming on Friday to check everything out.

What I find interesting is that the connection is much worse in the evening. During the day the connection will go hours without disconnecting, but at night the line will stay stable for only a few minutes at a time.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #10
Microsoft MVP

My System

That's a CLASSIC sign of line issues. When the connection is bad, please do this a couple of times and post the links here.

Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. It's best to run this test with a direct wired connection to eliminate any wireless issues from the results. It's useful many times to run this test several times, and we'd like to see each of the results. Post the results link from the top of the test display page for each test run here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.

DSLReports

Here's also the Line Quality Tests FAQ to help you understand the results. This will answer some questions about the line quality display.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #11
Registered Member

i have this exact same problem with the internet cutting in and out (alot more at night) and also have at&t, over the past 6 months we have been sent 2 new modems, had the techs out 3 times to be told everything is fine, have downgraded our internet, have done every test imaginable and been told they can't help us.. so now we have no idea what to do!
Old 05-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #12
Registered Member

welcome to the forums belinda. I recommend that you start a new thread specifically for your issue because this one is 3 years old. You will get help tailored to your needs in a thread just for you.
There is some advice in this thread however for running tests, I recommend that you run these test and post the results in your new thread.

Good luck,
Old 05-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
Registered Member

I had the same problem, and the answer was to destroy the router, because it was overheating fast. The funny thing is that it worked properly up to a point, and then, suddenly, started losing connection very fast. After many furious outrages, i managed to delay it's death using the fan of an old computer, and the power adapter i was using for my yamaha keyboard.
After buying a new router, the problem seemed to go away.