Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Internet issues - Windows 7

This is a discussion on Internet issues - Windows 7 within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello all, I am experiencing alot of problems with internet connection on my laptop - it generally runs incredibly slow

Old 03-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello all,

I am experiencing alot of problems with internet connection on my laptop - it generally runs incredibly slow and even buffering a 3 minute video takes the best part of an hour at some times.

On the desktop PCs I have the internet runs fine usually up until I turn my Laptop on then usually the laptop and desktop PC have issues with slow internet.

I've tried updating the network card drivers and still the problems persist... any ideas?

Cheers

Old 03-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

and welcome to the Forum

Is this a wired or wireless connection? What Brand Modem and Router are you using?

Old Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply,

The Modem is made by Virgin Media and the Router is made by Belkin

I'll try and find the exact models if that is helpful?
Old 03-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Wired or wireless connection?

Old 03-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
Registered Member

Oops yeah sorry, Wireless for the laptop - wired for the Desktops
Old 03-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Lets take a peek at your network environment:

On the Laptop . . First:

Power Cycle everything . . Turn off the Modem, router and all pc's . . turn on the Modem and wait a few minutes for the lights to stabilize . . then turn on the router, then one pc at a time. See if you connect to the internet.

Then:

Remove all the stored wireless network profiles and search for the network again.

How to Remove Stored Wireless Network Profiles for XP, Vista, and Windows 7

Then: check your browser's settings, remove any proxy settings if found here's how.

Then:

with the pc connected to the router, Click on Start . . Run . . type CMD

At the > prompt type type the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter. Come back here and Paste the results in a message.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB drive, or a CD-R disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

then please Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

On the Desktop. just post an ipconfig /all report