Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Internet doesn't work. I've done everything (I hope not)

943 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DBCooper 
#1 ·
Hey Fellas. I try to stay off this forum as much as possible, but it's the best place to go when I run into a complex problem.

Anyways, I'm having a problem with my internet. It is not working. Well, it only doesn't on my desktop computer (where I do everything at). That's right, the wifi is perfect on every other device in my house. What's up with that?

Well, it all started a few days ago when Comcast( my internet provider), had an outage in my area. Nothing worked on any of my devices then, but 2 days ago, when they fixed the problem, the wifi came back for everything but my desktop.

I own a desktop that I made myself, awhile back, and it hasn't had any major issues. (Except for that damn GPU incident I had, :angry: )
Anyways, my motherboard is an ASUS M5A97 R2. I'm also running on a Windows 7. I think that's all you really need to know about it. The way I connect to wifi is with an EDIMAX nano wifi usb adapter, but after reinstalling the drivers for that, it was no use.

So then, I tried a wired connection with an ethernet cable from the router to my computer, to see if the problem was with my the adapter or my computer itself. Even with the wired connection, the same issues persisted.

So what am I experiencing? My computer boots up fine, and I sign in to my Windows. Skype( my one and only start up program) does not start up at all, but crashes. My internet icon thing on the toolbar says it has internet access, but obviously not. I've noticed that if I open any program that uses the internet whatsoever, the program crashes.

So I did some more research and thought maybe to reinstall my motherboard network adapter driver thingy. I used a disc to get the files from another computer. And I used the ASUS website to get the drivers. I reinstalled the drivers a few times out of insanity, but nothing has happened.

Which brings me to here. What are you thoughts guys? Thank you for helping me, and if you have any questions just ask.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi there,

The problem is definitely with your desktop computer since none of your other devices have the same problem. When you connect a network cable to your desktop, do you see a light on the ethernet port? If so, what color...green or amber?

Also, try this...open up the command prompt and type in "IPCONFIG/ALL" without quotes and it doesn't have to be in caps. Then save the info as a text file. Then post the info here. Maybe the computer is pointing to the wrong DNS server or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.