Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Internet disconnecting/reconnecting frequently

This is a discussion on Internet disconnecting/reconnecting frequently within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've already posted this in another thread, but I read that I should make my own thread to keep track

Old 10-24-2006, 10:08 AM   #1
Registered Member

I've already posted this in another thread, but I read that I should make my own thread to keep track of a new problem, so here it is:

Not only does this computer which is conected through a wireless adapter frequently lose the internet, but so does the one that's directly connected to the router through a cable.

The wireless icon says it's still connected to the network but it doesn't allow internet access. It's frequently disconnecting and reconnecting and is starting to get on my nerves.

I'm thinking the problem is with the modem? Maybe it's been damaged. All the lights seem to be working yet both computers aren't getting a connection.

Strangely enough, my brother's laptop is the only one that remains connected to the internet, which is weird considering the one directly connected is being disconnected too.

Can anyone confirm any of this?

Old 10-24-2006, 02:34 PM   #2
Registered Member

Anyone? Please, I'm desperate for any info.

I just called my ISP and they said to call them back if it happens again and then they'll send another modem.

Funny, right in the middle of typing this message it disconnected and reconnected again. :\

Old 10-24-2006, 07:03 PM   #3
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Well, since one machine remains connected, you do NOT have a modem issue, so replacing that would be a waste of money. I'd be looking for wireless interference if this is a wireless connection. You may also have spyware/malware, or a router issue. You need to isolate which machines have the issue, and which don't.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:07 AM   #4
Registered Member

Actually yesterday I checked my brother's laptop when every other computer lost internet access and his was down too. I guess last time he just thought that he still had access because his adapter icon was showing "connected".

So all computers have the issue.

I contact tech support and they told me it's most likely an issue on my side and not a problem with the modem. I tried directly plugging this one into the modem and it still experienced a disconnect. He said something on my system is probably interfering even though I haven't updated this computer with any programs or updates for months. Now I have to wait for God knows how long until the next disconnect so I can call back. Each time they feed me another piece of bullshit, I have no idea why one person couldn't tell me everything I needed to do instead of forcing me to call back 20 times after one thing fails.

I am a little frustrated, sorry.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:37 PM   #5
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Look at the modem when you're directly connected. When you get "disconnected", is the modem data light still on? If the modem is dropping the carrier, it's either your in-house wiring or your ISP that is the issue. Let's narrow it down...

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:51 AM   #6
Registered Member

The same problem is happening to me but only when I've been on my computer for a little while. I log onto my account and everything is fine. Then after everything starts running (msn, internet, other speech programs), everything is still fine. An hour or two later i start disconnecting. It says, "You have disconnected from xfire"(Chat program) then it reconnects, then it says it again and again, until i turn off my computer and come back later.

I'm Wired to a wireless router too