Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Internet disconnected randomly

1K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  etaf 
#1 ·
hi, i've been having this problem for a week. everytime i attached routers to modem, my internet connection is unstable, keep disconnected randomly, and at night it disconnect more often than usual. my ISP tech said the signal is normal when he looked at status on 192.168.0.1 (modem default gateway). my home use tv cable and internet, does it has something to do with coax cable divided for internet and tv with splitter?

#2 ·
If you connext a PC directly to the modem with a cable - it works fine - correct

if you then add the router
DO a complete powercycle - see blow
and then a cable from the PC to the router - does it work OK ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to power cycle

“power cycle” process to reboot or reset the modem/router
  • Switch off all the devices modem, router and computers also unplug their power cables.
  • Wait at least 1 to 5 minutes. We have found in some instances you need to wait at least 15 minutes
  • Plug the power cords back in, but don’t switch them on.
  • First turn on the modem and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
  • Next switch on the router (if a separate device) and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
  • Now turn on your computer, You should now be able to access the Internet.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

#6 ·
Please read through and confirm each bit below - take your time - but i do need to know each question please

we need to progress this in a logical order and as described in order to isolate where the issue is - otherwise we cannot get to the component that is causing the issue

you should not be using any coax cable
ONLY from the cable provider to the modem

then the cables should be ethernet

Q1) is that what you are using?

lets have some make and models of the modem and of the router

Q2) what are the make and models of the modem and the router - exact model numbers please?

Please confirm this -
When you connect the modem to the PC directly with an ethernet cable connection
NOT wireless

Q3) its works and never drops

if thats the case , then we know
1) the coax is OK
2) the ISP line is OK
3) the modem is OK
4) the ethernet cable to the PC is ok
5) the ethernet connection on the PC is OK

Now using the same cable you connect the PC to the modem
connect the modem to the router

with a different ethernet cable - now connect the PC to the router
DO NOT use wireless at this point - as we know the PC works on a cable connection

do a powercycle

Q4) and this is where it drops connection?

have a look at the lights on the router when its working and then look at the lights when its not working

Q5) Are the lights on the router and on the modem in the same state when working and when not working?

#7 · (Edited)
A1) ya i know, im using ethernet to pc from modem, i mean coax cable condition from pole outside my house to modem. because since i split the coax to modem and tv, not modem only, this problem happened.

A2) Modem : Cisco docsis 3.0 DPC3828S, Router : Cisco EA4500. like that?

A3) when i connect PC to modem directly, it never drops if the port on modem only used by that PC, if i connect router on other port on modem as well, the connection starts to drops every few minutes.

A4) since the answer on Q3 has 2 conditions, i dont really know how to answer Q4.

A5) the lights are always on like they're never disconnected on both devices.

EDIT : somehow it feels like modem is burdened by router

#8 ·
because since i split the coax to modem and tv, not modem only, this problem happened.
I dont know enough about this split
But if 1 PC connected works OK - then not sure why the router connection would be different

How many other devices do you have ???

Cisco docsis 3.0 DPC3828S
is a wireless router ?

why are you connecting another router ?

how have you setup the other router
you need to use as a switch

Connecting Additional Routers - Tech Support Forum

#9 ·
I dont know enough about this split
But if 1 PC connected works OK - then not sure why the router connection would be different

How many other devices do you have ???

is a wireless router ?

why are you connecting another router ?

how have you setup the other router
you need to use as a switch

Connecting Additional Routers - Tech Support Forum

because modem don't have enough power from coax cable to power all connection to all routers? i read about internet connection on modem need more power/signal from coaxial cable which is not good if splitted to two, one for internet one for tv cable. unless the splitter is good. i asked ISP tech to change for newer splitter and still drops.

i have 2 routers connected to modem and 1 pc connected to modem.

no, its modem with wireless capability

i connect other routers because im not the only user in my house, and 1 router isnt enough to cover the distance between rooms. im using switch. the problem happened since ISP tech share cable for internet to tv. can't do anything about the coax cable til ISP tech come, dont have the tool. they keep telling me same solution which is power cycle but its just doesnt solves the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.