Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Internet connection is very slow, but fine in safe mode with networking

This is a discussion on Internet connection is very slow, but fine in safe mode with networking within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have a problem with my internet connection, I live in the university dorm and I connect the internet

Old 07-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
Try
Registered Member

Hi,

I have a problem with my internet connection, I live in the university dorm and I connect the internet by wire. When I start the computer on normal mode, the internet is very slowly and sometimes disconnect, and few times just work fine ( doesn't last more than 2 minutes). however, when i put it in safe mode with networking, it works perfectly. Not sure what is the problem.

my laptop is Toshiba , please tell me what info you need if u can help

:: also, can you give me the steps when i have to enable, disable or check things? sometime i get confused.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
Networking Team |Tech

I would suggest turning off antivirus and having a browse.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

I think I'd start looking at programs that start up and run in normal mode, which don't run in Safe Mode. Are you using any firewall software, P2P programs, anything else that would be downloading or updating when Windows starts?

The other culprit could be malware. Have you run any virus scans lately?

Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:59 AM   #4
Try
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT-Barry View Post
I would suggest turning off antivirus and having a browse.
I don't have any. more than two manths, i didn't use any antivirus so i don't think that would be the problem? if you think i have to download one, can u suggest a free antivirus to see if it solves the problem.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:00 AM   #5
Try
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Garvin View Post
I think I'd start looking at programs that start up and run in normal mode, which don't run in Safe Mode. Are you using any firewall software, P2P programs, anything else that would be downloading or updating when Windows starts?

The other culprit could be malware. Have you run any virus scans lately?
No, Do you think running virus scans can solve the problem?
Old 07-24-2011, 03:03 AM   #6
Try
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwiztuner View Post
I would like to suggest you that you should reinstall your windows Operating System,Then Update new browser and new anti virus.If you will not able to access your internet Connection i have a free online software on wituners.com. you should try that.
I think i'll reinstall the windows operating system if i couldn't solve the problem with the forum members.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:21 AM   #7
Networking Team |Tech

Not having antivirus is bad practice in general.

AVG is a nice free antivirus.

What browser do you use for web browsing?
Old 07-24-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Many of us use Microsoft Security Essentials . . very low on resources and as good as any other.
Old Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try View Post
No, Do you think running virus scans can solve the problem?
First, don't run out an reinstall your operating system. That is a guess solution to a problem that hasn't been identified. It's like replacing the engin in your car when it doesn't start.

If your connection is fine in safe mode, but doesn't work in normal Windows mode, then the difference may be a program that loads in normal Windows, but doesn't load during safe mode. Some malware can also fall into this category.

You could run a "scan only" if you have antivirus software installed and see if something shows up. If it does, I can refer you to the virus removal section of the forum to help you clean it up. You could also try disabling any startup programs using msconfig to test if one of them is causing the problem.

Click your start button and type msconfig in the Run or search box. Under the Startup tab, try to identify programs that you may not need and uncheck them.

Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Excellent advice!!

Old Rich is offline   Reply With Quote