Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Inability to play online games - Port Forward not working?

This is a discussion on Inability to play online games - Port Forward not working? within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys and gals, First, I'm not very computer literate so I apologise in advance. I've tried to lay the

Old 12-16-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi guys and gals,

First, I'm not very computer literate so I apologise in advance. I've tried to lay the query out as logically as possible.

Complaint
I am unable to play a lot of games online. However, I can surf the web completely fine.

Problem
I'm not quite sure what's causing the issue, but I recently found out about port forwarding. I've tried to port forward for my games, thought I'd done it successfully but then ran canyouseeme.org and it said:
I could not see your service on xxx on port xxx
Reason: Connection timed out

Attempts to solve
1) I've had this problem for many years and thought it was my router. I finally got out of my contract a while ago and changed router. The problem is still there.
2) I've reset my router.
3) I've tried to set up port forwards for my router and my windows firewall. I have AVG antivirus installed but I don't know if it has a firewall as well. The problem still persists when I turned AVG off.
4) I have hope because I found the following thread:
[SOLVED] Port Forwarding - Connection Timed Out - Can't Get Ports Open or Forwarded
However, I don't know which of those parts to do.

Thank you in advance!

P.S. I know that you might need information about my system, such as the direct x thing? I'm not tech literate so don't know how to do them but I AM good at following instructions. If you just let me know how to give you what you need, I'll do it for you.
Llethraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2016, 03:58 PM   #2
Registered Member

I've just seen, my operating system is not Vista. It's Windows 10.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:21 PM   #3
Registered Member

No-one able to help? :(

I'm absolutely certain that there is something on this computer that's stopping me accessing games online, i.e. being able to port forward. I just don't know how to find it.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Moved to networking for further help.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:22 AM   #5
Moderator - Networking

Hi mate.

Have you checked the port forwarding guide (the link in my signature)?

Port Forwarding Problems? Start Here
MitchConner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:52 AM   #6
Registered Member

Hi Mitch!

Many thanks for the post. I'm currently away with work but will be back on Thursday evening. I will go through all the steps then to see I can get it to work. :)

Thank you for the help!
Old 01-26-2017, 02:02 PM   #7
Registered Member

Hi Mitch...

I'm not quite sure what's happened because I was certain I've done all of the steps in that post before. However, the test games I've run now work. So, thank you!
Old 01-26-2017, 02:08 PM   #8
Moderator - Networking

I'm going to take the credit for that one then :)

If you do hit any more problems, feel free to pop back and give me a shout!

Port Forwarding Problems? Start Here
MitchConner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:00 AM   #9
Registered Member

Hi Mitch,

I recently bought For Honor and I'm now having the same trouble. I think before it was mere fluke that it worked.

I've attached a JPEG that shows what I've done. I assume I'm doing something wrong? Are you able to help?

Also, all of my previous games have now stopped working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Port Forward.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	301497  
Old 02-16-2017, 09:38 AM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Was the game running [minimized] when you ran the test?

Something has to be listening/ready to respond on the selected port. Program not running means nothing is listening on that port.

I would also point out this is a port used for Https/SSL communication as well as used as an exploit by Trojans.
GentleArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:44 AM   #11
Registered Member

What game are you playing? Many games instructions say to forward port 80 and 443, not because they need to be forwarded for NAT, but because the game uses HTTP/HTTPS for authentication to the server. If you can sign into the game, but are having problem with lag or match making, then you don't need to forward 443.
Optimus1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:13 AM   #12
Registered Member

Thank you for the responses! I have removed 80 and 443 as it's matchmaking that I'm having trouble with.

I should now have attached another picture. It should show that I am port forwarding 14024? If you look at the bottom, For Honor is open and minimised, so there should be something listening to the port? The connection is still refused.

For reference, when I try to play a game online, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I don't know why there's a difference. It's also not to do with the people I'm connecting to, as far as I'm aware, as it's the same across ALL my online games.

The only other point is that the port forwarding guide says I need UDP 3075. In that picture, it won't let me change it to UDP. I change the option at the bottom, click save and it reverts back to TCP. Does this matter?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Port Forward 2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	301529  
Old 02-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #13
Registered Member

First, do you play "For Honor" on Steam or Uplay? That changes which ports to use. It's difficult with Uplay because it picks from a wide range of ports to use for match making. I think you're using the native client, so then the important ports are TCP 3074 and UDP 3074/3075. When forwarding those ports, make sure there is a DHCP reservation(or static IP) for the computer running the game.

With all that said, can you describe how the game doesn't work in more detail? Because of the complication of port forwarding, most games use the automated system called UPnP to control the ports. By enabling port forwarding, it perhaps disabled the UPnP function for your other games. It is possible your original problem has nothing to do with port forwarding. Was the problem with the system matching you up with people? Or did it match you up, but you were unable to connect? Or did you connect, but then later disconnect?
Old 02-18-2017, 06:02 AM   #14
Registered Member

Hi Optimus!

1) I click on the Steam link but it then loads Uplay, so I'm assuming through Uplay? How do I make sure there is a DHCP reservation?

2) The original problem I had is the same across all online games. Whenever I need the game to "respond" to something, it doesn't work the first time. However, it works if I do it a second time immediately. (I don't know the terminology, so my apologies)
Examples:
Marvel Heroes: Trying to log in, I get an error. If I log in again straight away, it works and I can play the game fine.
World Of Warcraft: Logging in is fine. However, if I try to move areas in the game, it doesn't work and puts me back where I was (for instance, teleporting to a dungeon). However, if I move areas again straight away, it then loads the area.
Dungeon Defenders 2 and Prime World: I can log in fine but can't play any missions/battles. When I try to load a mission, it fails and there's no way to quickly reattempt another load so it keeps on failing.
Vermintide: This I have trouble logging in - sometimes I can get in, sometimes I can't. I don't know why there's a difference.

Does this make sense?
Old 02-18-2017, 11:22 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llethraim View Post
Hi Optimus!

1) I click on the Steam link but it then loads Uplay, so I'm assuming through Uplay? How do I make sure there is a DHCP reservation?
Uplay is much more difficult to use. They use any ports from TCP 13000, 13005, 13200, 14000, 14001 through 14024 for match making and the UI, and UDP 3075 for gameplay. Only 3075 needs to be forwarded, with everything else can be set up as a port trigger. A port trigger opens that port in the router's firewall for all devices connected to the network, while port forwarding bypasses the firewall (most routers) and directs the inbound traffic to one specific IP/computer. If you forward all the ports instead, then other computers on your network besides the one you destinate will not be able to use those ports for inbound.

As for a DHCP resevation, I tried looking in the manual, but couldn't find any mention of it. However the manual is more a user guide, then a break down of all it's features. Also, I might be looking at the wrong model. I assume it's a Talk Talk Plus gateway, but what is the exact model number? Hopefully I will be able to find options to check UPnP while we are at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llethraim View Post
it doesn't work the first time. However, it works if I do it a second time immediately.
This makes it sound like a firewall issue and not a port forwarding issue. The server is probably sending a command to the game when you sign in, and that command is being blocked until the game sends a signal back out, telling the router to open the port. The question is which port.

PS. Both now, and before you changed anything, what did the game say your NAT type was?
Old 02-21-2017, 07:11 AM   #16
Registered Member

Thank you very much for explaining the difference between trigger and forwarding, it was really confusing when I was trying to figure out which one to use, and apologies for the delayed response - work.

If I have the only computer on the network, then is there any practical difference?

I believe the model is Huawei HG633. There are two long numbers at the bottom called MAC and SN which are 608334FB9C35 and C4REQ1652000495 respectively.

As for the firewall issue, this is what I was thinking initially but I don't know how to find what's causing it. There are only two programs on my computer, as far as I'm aware, that might have a firewall -> Windows firewall and AVG. The problems persist when they're turned off and also after I've uninstalled AVG. Is there any way to find out what program is blocking signal?

Thank you in advance!

P.S. It was NAT Open (so green)