Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

I can't see my wireless network but I can see my neighbors

This is a discussion on I can't see my wireless network but I can see my neighbors within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi Guys, I am a new member and this is my first ever post. I am by no means an

Old 03-12-2012, 04:33 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Hi Guys,

I am a new member and this is my first ever post. I am by no means an expert with computers and will need some fairly good step by step instructions if possible please.

My brother has just given my wife his old BENQ Joybook R55 series laptop and for some reason it will not contect to my wireless network at home. It can see both of my neighbors networks fine but will not see mine. It's running XP with SP3 and has never had any issues with seeing networks previously to my brothers knowledge.

I am using a vivid wirless router modem which is a Greenpacket 802. 16e WIMAX modem model No: DX-230.

I currently have my laptop (Vista), my sons laptop (winsows7), 2 iphones, 2 ipod touches and 2 ipads all connected with no issues ever. Friends and family can all connect when they come over with no issues either.

I can connect directly via lan cable no problems. I have done a power-cycle on the modem with no joy. I have manually entered my network settings, no joy.

I am in need of your help people.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
Registered Member

OS: Vista,XP, Windows 7, Server 2003, Server 2008 R2 and Linux.

Hi,

Which utility are you using to connect wirelessly? Is it the inbuilt windows wireless utility or a 3rd party one like inter wifi pro?

Maz

Old 03-12-2012, 06:55 AM   #3
Registered Member

I have also now uninstalled and reinstalled my wifi device driver and still no luck. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:56 AM   #4
Registered Member

Windows Wireless utility.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
Management Team Networking

lets see the results of a ipconfig /all for review
Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
Registered Member

When I try to open the ipconfig /all in the run dialog box, the command box comes up for a split second and then dissapears immediately, therfore i cannot show you the results. Very sytrange indeed, i have never had this happen before.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

with the pc connected to the router, Click on Start . . Run . . type CMD

At the > prompt type type the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL
Old Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks Old Rich, I did as asked and connected to my router/modem and the results are as attached i hope.

Let me know of an easier way to display results if you can help. Sorry for my stupidity.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf ipconfig all.pdf (33.5 KB, 344 views)
Old 03-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

please Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
Registered Member

OK Rich i have done all that and the deatils are as follows.Click image for larger version

Name:	xirrus network PrtScn.JPG
Views:	422
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	106403
Old 03-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #11
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Which of those is yours? . . both are very weak signals . . how far are you from the router? Both are also on the same channel . . try changeing yours to channel 1 or 9
Old 03-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #12
Registered Member

Neither of these are mine and there is also now a third which is my next door neighbor. This is the issue is that for some reason that laptop cant see it. The one i am on now has no problems at all. How do I change the channel?
Old 03-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Yours must not be broadcasting . . an any other pc see it? What one are you on now?
Old 03-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
Registered Member

Every other Pc can see it. I have two other laptops the on i am on now and my sons. I have 2 ipods, 2 iphones, 2 ipads and noe of them ever hada problem seeing it. Other friends and family come over and they can all connect with either phones ipads or laptops.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi Yakkas,

You may delete the wireless profiles stored in your computer. Re-add your SSID and make sure that you type in the correct pass-phrase.
Removing an existing wireless "profile"

You may try adding your SSID (wireless network name) manually by following this tutorial.
Manually Add Hidden Networks in Vista

An update will be appreciated.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #16
Registered Member

make sure that both the wifi router and laptop runs on same 2.5GHZ or 5GHZ ,if the laptop is in.25GHZ and wifi is in 5GHZ ur laptop will not connect to the wifi
Old 03-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #17
Registered Member

Firstly to 2xg, I have tried this before already but did it again just to make sure and still no luck but thanks anyway.

Smartguykkd, Forgive my ignorance please but I don't know how I am to check what GHZ either my laptop or router is running on. Any assistance as to how I check this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:12 AM   #18
Registered Member

If anyone else has any ideas at all as to what this issue might be then please let me know as this is definitely becoming very frustrating.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:21 AM   #19
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

What is the brand and model of the router? What is the brand and model of the wireless adaptro in the laptop?

I suspect that the older wireless card is not capable of using the technology of the newer router . . 2.4 Ghz vs 5 Ghz . .
Old 03-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #20
Registered Member

Greenpacket 802. 16e WIMAX modem, model No: DX-230. Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection