Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

I can't get my 2nd computer to go on line. Please help.

This is a discussion on I can't get my 2nd computer to go on line. Please help. within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Thanks in advance for helping me out with this problem: I have a basic 2 PC wired home network. My

Old 02-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
Registered Member

Thanks in advance for helping me out with this problem:

I have a basic 2 PC wired home network.

My ISP is Time Warner

The 1st PC that can get on line has Vista as the OS

The other pc (Mine) has XP Pro and I can't get it on line.

I have a high speed 10/100 (High speed wow how technology has changed) 16 port net gear switch ( I don't know the model #, I'm at work)

I have everything wired correctly. I have one ethernet cable going directly from the cable modem into the #1 slot. I have the 1 PC that can get on line connected to the #2 port.

I have my PC connected to the #3 port & I've tried 2 others & I keep getting the same message. ( You have limited network capability, with the little yellow lock image over the network connections on the bottom toolbar)

I don't think it's a hardware issue, because all of the lights on the modem & switch are functioning properly for both PC's.

I just moved into this place this weekend & my PC was fully operational before the move. I also had Time Warner as my ISP as well.

Again thanks for any help with this issue.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi CJ Styles - Welcome to TSF,

Can you please provide the exact Make and Model of the Modem and the Switch? Is it a combination Modem/Router?

Usually your setup should be this way:
Modem=> Router=> Network Switch=> Computers and other Network Device such as Printers

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search