Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

hp officejet loses wireless connect

This is a discussion on hp officejet loses wireless connect within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I own an hp officejet pro 8600 and it loses wireless connectivity now and then with my Ubee DDW3611 DOCSIS

Old 01-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
Registered Member

I own an hp officejet pro 8600 and it loses wireless connectivity now and then with my Ubee DDW3611 DOCSIS 3.0 (8x4) Wireless (802.11n) Cable Modem.

I used to own a linksys g router an had similar problem with an older officejet printer.

Am wondering if anyone else experiences this and has found a fix other than going wired. TIA

Old 01-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello,

Wired connection will give you more stability.

We can take a look of your wireless channel selection by posting a Xirrus print screen.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ts-573730.html

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
Registered Member

I had that exact same problem with the HP 8600 series. After scouring the internet for solutions and not finding any, I managed to figure out what the problem was by myself.

HP usually has a hidden service menu that their employees can access to make technical adjustments to certain printers. It is in this menu that one can usually adjust the hardware default sleep setting which causes the printer to "lose" it's wireless signal. Logically speaking it should wake up if the computer in question tries to communicate with it, but for some strange reason it doesn't.

The problem with the HP 8600 is that the sleep setting has been entirely removed from the menu, and the only alternative is setting the "ECO" setting on the printer, which only gives you 3 measly options; 5,10,15 minutes, none of the ofcourse allow you to turn off the sleep function.

The only workaround that has so far worked 100% of the time is creating a script that runs in the background of your computer. This script "pings" the printer, forcing it to stay awake and never go to sleep.

Drop me a mail at "mailchrisvv@gmail.com" along with a small donation of 5$ for my time and I will send you the instructions, or if you prefer the program that runs the script in the background that has already been compiled.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XP, Windows7-8, Server03, Server08, SBS2008, SBS2011, Server2012

My System

Verify the IP address of the printer

open notepad put in what you see in the quote box with the ip of the printer instead of 192.168.1.30

Quote:
ping 192.168.1.30
save as c:\ping.bat

then create a task to run the batch file every 5 minutes