Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

How to know what applications are using up all the bandwidth?

This is a discussion on How to know what applications are using up all the bandwidth? within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Is there a program that gives a list of what application are using up my bandwidth(and to kill those applications

Old 12-30-2010, 05:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Is there a program that gives a list of what application are using up my bandwidth(and to kill those applications too)?
Please I don't want a complicated program.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:10 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Hello,

Have you seen the "Resource View" in the "Vista Performance Monitor"?
By expanding the elements, you can identify which processes are using which resources. CPU, disk, network, and memory usage etc.

That is new to Vista, there was only Task Manager before, so you might not have seen it.

Riv

Old 12-30-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivendale View Post
Hello,

Have you seen the "Resource View" in the "Vista Performance Monitor"?
By expanding the elements, you can identify which processes are using which resources. CPU, disk, network, and memory usage etc.

That is new to Vista, there was only Task Manager before, so you might not have seen it.

Riv
Ok did that. And it worked! The main processes using up bandwidth were called 'svchost.exe'. Is this a virus? Cause when I shut them down all download and upload stopped immediately.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
Registered Member

My System

And forgot to mention, when I end this abusive process svchost.exe, ALL download and upload stops, meaning I cannot use the internet anymore(svchost is running while I'm typing this message).
Old 12-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

update
Old 12-30-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

save the whales
Old 12-31-2010, 01:59 AM   #7
Registered Member

My System

update
Old 12-31-2010, 02:26 AM   #8
Registered Member

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-svchostexe-and-why-is-it-running/

Stop bumping and google.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:35 AM   #9
Registered Member

My System

I think you misunderstood the problem. svchost.exe is using up all my bandwidth, but if I close it then the internet connection completely stops with it.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:40 AM   #10
Registered Member

Well from what I could understand from the page that I linked, there are multiple things running within that svchost. If you go into command prompt and type "tasklist /SVC" you can see what that particular svchost is running.

Maybe you disabled the svchost that was controlling DCHP?

What i'm getting at is it isn't something that you should kill in task manager. It is required.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:47 AM   #11
Registered Member

My System

What am I to do then? Can't kill it, can't use the internet with it.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:36 AM   #12
Registered Member

You don't need it kill it. It isn't bad.

You are saying that when you kill it in taskmanager you lose your internet access. Simple thing is DON'T KILL IT

You have no reason to kill it. It is supposed to be there.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:00 AM   #13
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by resiguy15 View Post
You don't need it kill it. It isn't bad.

You are saying that when you kill it in taskmanager you lose your internet access. Simple thing is DON'T KILL IT

You have no reason to kill it. It is supposed to be there.
Well I love that answer! "Ok so it's eating away your limited monthly bandwidth and taking most of your dl/up speeds, big deal! Get over it!"
Old 12-31-2010, 05:22 AM   #14
Registered Member

Well before this post I knew nothing about this. But I have been looking around and trying to learn about it for your sake and the main thing I have understood from SVChost is what it says really. It is an .exe that is required to run the many required services of windows which are .dll files.

As to why your's are using up bandwidth I can not say. By looking at my own I can see they are using an extremely small amount to even be concerned about. Your own may be different.

Just wait for someone with more know-how to come along. I just hope you are not getting mixed up with memory usage :P
Old 12-31-2010, 06:07 AM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

Are you having a problem with slow internet speeds? If so, start by telling us what you are expecting to get and then run speedtest.net and see what you're actually getting.

In the past I've seen people using typically file sharing applications and forgetting to close them down after they are finished. This leaves the connection open and can eat up bandwidth.

But let's start by working out what your isp says your speed is versus what speedtest says.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:19 AM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

Hello,

As indicated you can determine what processes that instance of the service host is running.

Sometimes it's processes (such as windows update just for example) will cause background traffic that can make your internet browsing experience seem slow.

Have you been able to associate the network trafic with a particular process serviced by that instance of SVCHOST?

There are viruses that will impersonate SVCHOST and make network activity that is not displayed, but they are rare.

Riv
Old 12-31-2010, 07:06 AM   #17
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivendale View Post
Hello,

As indicated you can determine what processes that instance of the service host is running.

Sometimes it's processes (such as windows update just for example) will cause background traffic that can make your internet browsing experience seem slow.

Have you been able to associate the network trafic with a particular process serviced by that instance of SVCHOST?

There are viruses that will impersonate SVCHOST and make network activity that is not displayed, but they are rare.

Riv
Haven't been able to associate it with any processes. I just go into the Resource Monitor and end process "svchost.exe (netsvcs)", then dl/up stops, then it comes back again after a minute, then I end it again, and after 3 or 4 times of ending it, it gives up and goes away(until I reconnect). I think I was doing something wrong before, but now by ending the process "svchost.exe (netsvcs)" directly from Resource Monitor, internet is still intact and dl/up abuse stops.
And I don't know how to stop it from coming back every time I connect to the internet.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:44 AM   #18
Registered Member

My System

I've looked around at the other forums, and noticed that some who had the same problem said that it was associated with BITS(Background Intelligent Transfer Service). Is there a way to disable this service permanently?
Old 01-01-2011, 04:36 AM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

Hello OBM-man, welcome to a new year. :)

Yes! BITS is a part of windows update, which it is possible to disable. :)

I think if you right click on the process and select "go to services" it will show you the services that are running, or at least a process ID to cross reference to it.

Also might be an idea to go to the windows update and check to see if it's trying to download something important.

Riv
Old 01-01-2011, 07:41 AM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

I've seen this happen when the computer is way behind in updates and you have virus protection, windows updates, etc trying to download information, particularly if the computer is a bit short on resources (memory, cpu, etc) in the first place. However, I'd start by determining how much bandwidth you're SUPPOSED to have. It would also be helpful if you posted what kind of computer and internet connection you have. Cable modems, for example, share bandwidth and if inadequately provisioned by the ISP can give you exactly the symptoms you are seeing.