Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

how i can connect 2 desktop pc's with cox internet

This is a discussion on how i can connect 2 desktop pc's with cox internet within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi i have 2 desktop computers and i want to have internet connection in both pc's i i need help

Old 03-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

hi i have 2 desktop computers and i want to have internet connection in both pc's i i need help iam a newbie about routers they will be in different rooms if it is possible, one computer has internet service rightnow a modem and phone hook up together as i have cox phone service what is better wireless router or wired thank you for your help

Old 03-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
Oh! What shall I be?

My System

Hi,

Usually a wireless router can be used strictly as a wired one (just would cost more).

So this comes down to your preference.

I would only get the wireless if you have any laptops with wireless or you just don't want to run wires in your house for the wired.

Wired routers are safer, No one can conect to them unless they can physically get to them, wireless can be safe, you just have to set it up correctly.

One thing I will warn you about, I set up a wireless router for my parents, they have comcast cable internet, same type of thing you have, with the phones and everything. I spent over an hour trying to set this up. What happened was comcast only let my mac address (for my laptop) to use the internet. So I had to clone my mac address into the router and now the router will appear as if it was my laptop.

You may not have this issue either. I set up another internet (also cable, just a different company), and I didn't have to bother with the mac addresses.

I'm just letting you know this incase you run into any issues.

Snoopdogie187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:10 AM   #3
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Actually, a wireless router is probably just as cheap as a wired one, and you can simply disable the wireless capability if you don't need it. Try even finding an inexpensive wired router nowadays.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote