Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

How do I install a new D-Link N750 Dual Band Router?

This is a discussion on How do I install a new D-Link N750 Dual Band Router? within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just bought a new D-Link N750 DIR-835 Dual Band Router, and I tried installing it to apparently no avail.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Registered Member

I just bought a new D-Link N750 DIR-835 Dual Band Router, and I tried installing it to apparently no avail. I used the installation CD and followed all the instructions carefully throughout, but once it was "working," I did a speed test and saw that there was absolutely no difference in speed.

I refuse to believe that this new router, which cost me over $100, would provide no noticeable difference over my old router. Speaking of my old router, I have the original router that Telus sent me for free. It's a Siemens Gigaset SE567, and I've dealt with it a few times when I had internet problems, fiddling with the 192.168.0.1 web address site, configuring the passwords and SSID, and the like. I'm not super-educated on the matter, but I know enough about it that with a thorough explanation, I could probably perform whatever is necessary.

Anyways, like I said, I followed all the instructions and after testing out some simple Youtube videos on both my tablet and laptop, through the wireless network that resulted, it couldn't even load a 480p video without lagging. I know that the router isn't the only thing that ensures speed, but even with my (probably barebottom) internet plan (which my father set up, not me, and knowing my father, it's probably the slowest connection available), I just cannot believe that the resulting network was the best speed available to me. So did I do something wrong? Are the routers interfering with each other? Is that actually the best speed I can achieve?

P.S.

I tried doing a search, and came up with nothing that I could find to be useful. If it's there, I apologize for missing it, but I just couldn't find anything to help me after a reasonable search.

P.P.S.

Is that Gigaset even a router? Or is it a modem? Or both?

Old 07-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Management Team Networking

Siemens Gigaset SE567 is a modem router.

"Are the routers interfering with each other?" No doesn't work like that. Unfortunately all you did was add overhead [another hop]

" Is that actually the best speed I can achieve?" What are the specs of your internet plan down and up?

connect to the siemans and go to speedtest.net and run a test. Take a print screen of the results. Then connect the netgrear and run the same test and do the same print screen. Do these tests wired to the routers.

Post the results here for review along with the ips plan specs.

BTW wifi is always slower than wired

Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

Agree with Wand3r3r the most important question is the bandwidth what your ISP is supplying to you and the throughput speed you get from the speedtest do at least five and then calculate the average by dividing total download by 5 and the same for upload.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
Registered Member

I don't think I can connect to them seperately, because, according to the instructions, the D-Link needs to be wired to the Siemens, and it only produces one network. The D-Link does not work on its own. Regardles, I really doubt that what I was seeing was the full capability of my internet, but nonetheless, I'll try to find my service specs and I'll run some speed tests.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #5

Sure you can connect to each separately. You didn't disable the dhcp server on each did you? If not no problem.
I wouldn't have asked you to do it if it were not possible.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
Registered Member

Scratch what I said earlier, I've gotten both running separate networks. However, the one I'm connected to, the D-Link one, which should be faster, is still awfully slow compared to what I expected, so I suspect (but I hope not) that it's my bandwidth, like you guys said. So I'll edit this post and attach the screen caps requested in a little bit.

Is there any way, besides calling your ISP, of finding out your specs?

Edit: The first one is with the new router, the second on the old network. How is it even WORSE? I'm so confused!

2nd Edit: The last one is another run I did for the D-Link network. Still worse. All three were wireless.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speed Test 1 (Freestailo).png
Views:	32
Size:	359.4 KB
ID:	112113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Speed Test 2 (Ft-fut-fut-freestailo).png
Views:	23
Size:	510.6 KB
ID:	112114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Speed Test 3 (Freestailo).png
Views:	24
Size:	497.4 KB
ID:	112115  

Old 07-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

Those download and upload speeds are from your ISP over the internet i suggest you contact your ISP and find out your Download and upload speed before overheads which includes your routers.

If your reported speed from the ISP is far above the speedtest results then i would be asking them to conduct line quality tests.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #8

first concept you need to understand is that if you have a 1" hose [isp and siemans] and you add a 2" hose [dlink] you are never going to get more than what the 1" hose is going to deliver.

As suggested you test wired not wirelessly. This gives you the best conditions since it eliminates the overhead associated with wifi that slows it down.

Not sure why you are saying #2 and #3 are worse. They are better, which is surprising, compared to the #1 siemens.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wand3r3r View Post
Not sure why you are saying #2 and #3 are worse. They are better, which is surprising, compared to the #1 siemens.
No, the first one is the NEW network, the one on the D-Link router.

I understand that there is a limit and that simply buying a new router won't make my INTERNETZ RUN FASTER!!!11 But I expected at least a noticeable difference, especially in range, but I saw that it got worse on my tablet when I tried using the new wireless network as well. I'll try and give the wired speed tests a go, I'll post my results shortly.

Edit: These are my Siemens tests, wired directly to my machine with an ethernet cable, not connected to the new D-Link.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Siemens Wired Test 1.png
Size:	478.8 KB
ID:	112117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Siemens Wired Test 2.png
Views:	23
Size:	478.7 KB
ID:	112118  
Old 07-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #10

"Edit: The first one is with the new router"

In the western world we start left to right making the "first" the post on the far left which was the worse.

Concerning the wifi signal did you get a dual band wifi dongle or are you using a old 54mb wifi connection?

What building materials are used in the house? Wood, cement, brick, steel studs? Multiple floors?

I would suggest you download and run xirrus wifi inspector and post a screen shot of what it sees for review.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
"Edit: The first one is with the new router"

In the western world we start left to right making the "first" the post on the far left which was the worse.
No need to insinuate that I'm dull, I uploaded them in the wrong order and couldn't sort them afterwards. For your clarity, I'll upload the next ones in simple order and explicitly state what they are, you being in the "western world" and all.

These pictures are for the D-Link router, physically wired by ethernet cable to my machine, not connected to the Siemens router.

As far as I can see, the results are almost identical, and not at all what I expected.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D-Link Wired Test.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	112119   Click image for larger version

Name:	D-Link Wired Test 2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	112120  
Old 07-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Concerning the wifi signal did you get a dual band wifi dongle or are you using a old 54mb wifi connection?
I do not have any sort of dual band peripheral as far as I know, and by 54mb wifi connection, do you mean I'm just using the original hardware? Excuse my ineptitude with technical terms. My laptop has a wifi reciever built in, as does my tablet, and I use no such dongle.

Quote:
What building materials are used in the house? Wood, cement, brick, steel studs? Multiple floors?
My house is just 2 floors, not huge, wooden flooring on the second and built entirely of wood, the usual stuff.

And there, gentleman, is the Xirrus cap you requested. Unless there's something else you would like me to do?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Xirrus connected to D-Link.jpg
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	112121  
Old 07-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #13

Was not my intention to infer anything.

Those dlink tests look good. Appears you only have 1.5/.5 down and up for the network pipe.

One of the reasons to get a dual band router is to use the 5ghz band for better range/higher transfer rate.

On the laptop if you do a ipconfig /all it will list the wifi card. Post what it is.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
Registered Member

Doing an 'ipconfig /all" showed me this:

Wireless LAN Adapter:

Description: Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter

Is that the one?
Old 07-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #15

that's the one but I am not finding specs on it to see what bands it supports.

go here.
Atheros Drivers Download - Atheros

in choice #3 put this in and then click on download
Atheros AR9485WB-EG

Install the driver if its newer.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #16
Moderator - Networking

My System

Your siemens router i believe is a G band router so the connection between your computer and router/s is going to be 54Mbps max.

That is not the speed over the internet and your ISP download and upload speeds apply to the streaming from the internet to you and vice versa.
54Mbps is likley to outstrip your ISP speed that it supplies to you i.e the speed from their servers to your router across the world wide web. So knowing what speed your ISP is supplying to you is most important cant stress that enough here.

The connection from computer to router and vice versa can be 500Mbps but if the speed from your ISP to you is poor then streaming is going to be poor.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #17

Maybe your dad can spring for a better package for your birthday or some other occasion.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Maybe your dad can spring for a better package for your birthday or some other occasion.
I guess that's what I'm going to have to lean towards if I want to retain this "better" router. I just have to find out what kind of service I currently have by phoning them first. However, before I do that, I have to discover whether or not there's any problem with my bandwidth; e.g. is it getting blocked or minimized in any way? Does my service actually only provide 1.5 up/.5 down? Telus's lowest high speed internet is, according to their website, up to 6 Mbps, and no lower service is mentioned. I assume I don't actually have that low high speed one, but do I really have only what the speedtest shows?
Old 07-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #19

the speed test shows what you are currently getting. You need to confirm what is being paid for.

Gear in this thread