Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

How do I connect my LAN port cable to my desktop to grab wireless signal?

This is a discussion on How do I connect my LAN port cable to my desktop to grab wireless signal? within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a LAN port cable, and I have one end connected to the back of my router. Where does

Old 07-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a LAN port cable, and I have one end connected to the back of my router. Where does the other end go, so I can receive wireless internet connection of both my Toshiba Satellite Laptop, and Gateway Desktop. First I had the LAN port cable connected at the back of my router, and the other end was connected at the back of my desktop. A little green light lit up at the back of my desktop, saying that it was grabbing signal. I could use the internet fine, and my laptop could grab wireless signal fine as well. I was missing around my router, trying to see what mark it was, and the LAN port cable came off, and when I plugged it back in, i couldn't receive signal, and neither could my laptop. Now the only way I can grab signal is by connecting the WAN port cable from my modem to my desktop, which means I cant get wireless signal on my laptop. Now when I do connect my LAN port cable to the back of my desktop, I try connecting to my wireless connection, and when I go to Network and Sharing Center, it says Connected (With full bars). But when I try to go online, it says Internet Problem/Connections. In the bottom of the name of my router it says"No Internet access."

Help :(

Old 07-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Welcome to TSF,

What's the Make and Model of your Modem & Router?

If you have a Modem and a Router make sure that a patch network cable is connected between the Modem output port and the Router’s WAN or Internet Port. Connect a patch network cable (also called an Ethernet cable ) from one of the router’s LAN or Ethernet Ports to each device that will use a wired connection. Keep an eye on the Modem and Router’s lights until they are stabilized. A Power Cycle might be needed if you still can't wireless connect.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote