Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Homegroup/Networking Issue

SOLVED 
1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  WaltNaz 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.

I am wanting to be able to move files between my Desktop & Laptop. I am not sure how to go about accomplishing this. I have tinkered with every setting I could think of and googled till my head is about to explode. My Desktop is connected to my Router via Ethernet. My Laptop is connected to the Router via Wi-Fi. I will put as much info as I possibly can to hopefully get some instructions without you needing to ask for more information.

Desktop Info

Adapter
Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
network name Network 2, shared

Running OS
Window 10 Pro

Laptop Info

Adapter
Manufacturer: Qualcomm Communications Inc.
Description: Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4 Wireless Network Adapter
Driver version: 4.0.2.262
Physical address (MAC): ‎40-B8-9A-83-E7-75
Connected to WiFi Network: Marius1195

Running OS
Win 10 Home (upgrade from Win 7 OEM)
Version 1703
OS Build 15063.296

Private network - current profile
Network Discovery ON
Turn on automatic setup of Network Connected Devices (checked)
File and Print sharing ON
Homegroup Connections - Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers

All Network Options
Public Folder Sharing is ON
Media Sharing - all options selected and saved
File Sharing Connections - 128-bit
Password Protected Sharing is OFF

No Homegroup, create new is only option.
PC Named Laptop
Profile AdminLT (yes admin account, only one on pc)

Router Info

Dual Band Router, newest firmware
Netgear WNDR4500v2
SSID: Marius1195
Protocol: 802.11n
Security type: WPA2-Personal
Network band: 5 GHz
Network channel: 36
IPv4 address: 192.168.1.2
IPv4 DNS Servers: 192.168.1.1
2.4ghz is set to auto select channel
5ghz is only running Ch 36 (Cleanest CH from 2 diagnostic tools)

Random Notes
All drivers and firmware are updated. When I use File Explorer on the Desktop and click Network I can see Desktop, but not Laptop. When I open Desktop I get all the correct folders to share and the file sharing marker on the icons and also on the individual folders if I right click and go into sharing options, everything is shared. Listed is Homegroup with AdminGaming and 4 shared folders as well. When I use File Explorer on the Laptop and click Network I see See Desktop with 6 folders, marked shared. However if I try and open any of them I get a Network Error saying Windows cannot access \\DESKTOP\Pictures Contact Network Admin to request access. When I click LAPTOP the only folder is Users which is marked shared, when right clicked and advanced sharing is opened it I can give all users full control it will not save though. I get an access denied error message. Homegoup is also listed, it is giving me a join option and everything goes well until I enter the password. (I know it’s correct) The window runs for about 3-4 minutes then says homegroup no longer found. The next screen tell me AdminGaming on DESKTOP has created a homegroup. If I click the join option here it eventually gives me the error message homegroup no longer found. If I start the Homegroup troubleshooter it tells me there are network problems, when I run the network troubleshooter it says everything is fine. Thanks for any help you can offer. With the difference in OS's I would appreciate any help be as detailed as possible, this was an issue I ran into while using google links.

Thanks, Walt

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the Link Jim, I was able to set it up properly. I do have a question that's related to this post so I hope it's not a violation to ask it here and not make a new post.

I only recently started using my Wi-Fi for the laptop, it had been on an ethernet cable while I am home. One thing I was never able to accomplish was having the desktop (ethernet 2) and laptop (ethernet) on the same named network. Both are using the same router from my OP. Will the procedure you gave me still work if the connection type is the same, but the ethernet names are different? And yes my puppy loves to chew EVERYTHING! :angry: I will be buying another cable on my next payday in a week so I can repost then if that's appropriate.

I should add I used the File Explorer option, not the homegroup method.

Thanks again, Walter

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.