Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Home network email sharing

This is a discussion on Home network email sharing within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have one laptop running XP home, one running XP pro and a PC tower that I'm using as a

Old 03-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have one laptop running XP home, one running XP pro and a PC tower that I'm using as a server type computer. I have an email account through my internet provider that I use for everything through outlook. What I would like to do is allow both laptops to access the email and have them be in sync. Previously, I've taken the OST file and saved it on my server PC and had Outlook, on my laptops, access it through a network folder. I was having issues with that setup with receiving emails so I abandoned that. Currently, I'm using IMAP setup but I'm not too fond of it either. Especially since I can't seem to get rid of the Personal folders in my Outlook.
Ideally, what I aspire to have is something similar to the exchange server that I have at work. The downside is that I don't want to have to purchase MS Exchange server. Is there a open source solution out there? Or am I going in the wrong direction?

Old 03-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Moderator - Networking

The simplest solution would be to set the same account (using a POP server) up on all three systems using thier own .pst file on each system and just checking the option to leave a copy of the email on the server. Then on your main system (or any of them for that matter), check the box to delete the email from your ISP email server after, say 10 days or so.

This way when you check the email on any of those three systems you will get all of your email.

The only down side is that by selecting the remove from server option after X days, is that you can not see all of you emails if you also use webmail. In that case if you want your emails there as well don't check the remove from server option.

Computers help us fix problems that we would not have without them...

Shekka is offline   Reply With Quote

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please help me diagnose my problem (internet/network adapter).
Hi, most of my evidence concerning this problem is anecdotal, so I can only describe it so well. Please ask for any information needed to help me with the issue, which is the following. My internet simply isn't doing what it's supposed to. It is laggy in games, internet browsing is satisfactory...
Bender. Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 2 03-26-2012 07:24 AM
Home Projector
Hi all, I’m after a projector for my home. I have absolutely no knowledge of them and have been struggling to find one in my budget. I would prefer HD and don’t want to spend and more than £300 ($475). Is this achievable? Any help would be amazing. Thank you!!
AdamDuran Home Theater 3 03-25-2012 04:51 AM
Wireless network wont work?
so i was having problems with my comp and re installed windows 7. Afterwards when i tried to plug in my Dlink USB wireless connection it would attempt to install it then fail. I tried putting in the disc it came with and it failed to download the driver successfully as well. Any suggestions?
mrhoppsmc Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 1 03-24-2012 04:29 PM
isa server fails to load network cards
i use a win server 2003 ent edition with isa server 2006 but last day we had elecric probl and the server was off for a while but now when we start the server it takes too much to login and the applying ... takes too much and when it loads the user profile it takes 5 nins to load network cards (2)...
dalwnt Windows NT/2000/2003, 2008 and 2012 Server 1 03-24-2012 03:49 PM
Wireless network disappears overnight
I have a pretty old Linksys WRT160Nv3. I tried support from them but I was told my router is too old to receive free support. My router is connected to a comcast modem (Motorola). Two days ago I tried to connect to the internet with my iPod and had no luck, the same went for my phone and my...
Mistwolf Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 3 03-24-2012 01:24 PM